I can't get my computer desktop to align properly on tv

Status
Not open for further replies.

bravodown

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
I have a LG 47LD520 tv. i bought a new computer about 7 months back and recently decided to hook it up to my tv in the living room. games look awesome on this tv but my problem is that i cannot get the desktop to line up properly. the tv aspect ratio is set to 16:9 (by default). other available option is 4:3. other options are listed ("just scan", "set by program", "zoom" and "cinema zoom 1") but these options are greyed out and i cannot select them. ive read on other tvs by lg that selecting "just scan" option usually fixes the problem. why would these options be listed if i cant use them?

the top to bottom sizing of the desktop fits perfectly. however, the screen is shifted about 1 inch to the right. so there is a black bar along the left side of my screen where the desktop ends and about 1 inch of the right side of my desktop is off the right side of the tv screen. my computer resolution is set to 1920x1080, which is the recommended resolution and looks the best by far out of all the resolution options. ive looked at some of my computer options for resolution and screen adjusting on both windows and graphics card settings (geforce gtw 670 ftw 4gb) but i cant find any way to adjust the screen size besides changing from landscrape to portrait, etc. even when i change the tv aspect ratio to 4:3 (which puts my desktop in the middle of the tv with large black areas on both sides), the right side of the visible desktop still appears to be cutoff.

cable, dvd players, wii, etc. do not have any problem with offset screens but my computer does. im not sure if it is the tv or my computer that is off-setting my screen. ive had tv/monitors in the past that had options to adjust the screen sizing but i cannot find any such options on this tv or my computer (windows 7 os). i should also note that i usually use a 19 inch lg lcd monitor that has never had a problem with the screen being offset on this computer. does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how i can adjust my screen over to the left about 1 inch?

Thanks

Solution
I believe now that the issue is with my graphics card and not the tv. When i switch to resolution 1024x768 the screen is filled up and no black bar on the left. However, the recommended resolution for this tv is 1920x1080...ill have to call nvidia and see if they have any solutions otherwise ill post this issue in the graphics card forum.

popatim

Splendid
use the options in your pc's graphic properties to adjust the picture right.
Since you dont mention which graphics card you're using I cant just walk you thru it.
For an example for some intels its: rt click on the blank part of the desktop, click on graphic properties, select the Display settings, Advanced settings and then you'll see the options to move or adjust the size of the desktop.

bravodown

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

thanks for the reply. i did mention in the second paragraph that my graphics card is a geforce gtx 670 ftw 4 gb. i looked in the display settings before and i tried looking again after your post but i still see no way to adjust me screen over to the left. when i right click the desktop (windows 7), click on personalize, click on display, click on change dispay settings - the only options it gives me are to change my display (the device being used, ex. LG TV), change my resolution (which doesnt change that part of my display is still cut off on the right side), or change the orientation between landscape, portrait, or flipped. when i click advanced settings a window opens with adapter, monitor, troubleshoot, and color management tabs. none of these have any option to adjust my display over to the left. ive looked both in the windows display settings and the nvidia display settings. also, in my nvidia graphics settings, i went to display -> adujust desktop size and position -> clicked on positio0n tab. this will move my desktop to the left, but the 1 inch black area on tv is still there. so basically i can move the screen to the left but now the left side would be cut off by about 1 inch instead of the right side.

bravodown

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

is this a tv or computer setting?
i am able to move the computer screen up down left or right, the problem is it doesnt change the black bar on the side. i doesnt do this with other uses (cable, dvd player, wii). my computer's resolution would fit perfectly into the screen if i could get that black bar adjusted off the screen to the left. this makes me think its a tv setting since i am able to move the actual desktop display but really i dont know.

bravodown

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
I believe now that the issue is with my graphics card and not the tv. When i switch to resolution 1024x768 the screen is filled up and no black bar on the left. However, the recommended resolution for this tv is 1920x1080...ill have to call nvidia and see if they have any solutions otherwise ill post this issue in the graphics card forum.

Solution
overscan/underscan is an option listed in nvidia control panel.

when you plug into the tv the screen is not always filled up and overscan/underscan solves the problem. typically you slide the bar all the way to one side. i'm not entirely sure if it will fix your problem however it may. even if it does not it may allow you to then position the screen with the nvidia controls without it acting strange.

worth a try.

antosmith

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
When I connect my computer to TV directly I did not have this problem. But recently I purchased a HDMI switcher as I was running out of space and came across this problem. The solution was simple. Find the HDMI input on the TV that is specified for computer. Mine was called HDMI Game. Once I connected the HDMI switches output to this input all the inputs including my computer showed up correctly. As others have noted I believe this is due to the overscan/underscan on other HDMI inputs on the TV.

BigBad64

Estimable
Feb 9, 2014
I have just been connecting a Lenovo T420 Laptop (VGA out only) to a Panasonic TV via a VGA to VGA cable and my desktop appeared off centre on the TV also.
To fix this I went into the settings of the TV: Menu>Setup>PCSetup and this enabled me to shift the picture vertically and horizontally. I was also able to set the Input Resolution to the maximum available through the VGA port which was 1366 x 768 (even though this is a Full HD 1920 x 1080 TV)

The TV manual confirmed that 1366 x 768 @ 60Hz was the maximum resolution / refresh rate available via the VGA port so I replicated these settings on the laptop in Control Panel>Appearance and Personalization>Display>Screen Resolution (& from there in Advanced Settings>Monitor Tab for the Refresh Rate) and all was good.

I would imagine the OP's LG TV would have similar menu functions available to go into PC settings and shift the desktop vertically/horizontally and solve the problem.

Plamen Stoychev

Estimable
Mar 3, 2014
Solved it.
Hello,
I had the same problem with my LG TV (model 2012/2013) when i conected it with my laptop as a projector (with rgb cabble) there was about 2cm black line in the left side. Both (laptop and tv) are full hd 1920/1080 16:9 and the problem was in the TV and not with the laptop or VGA.
Simply went to:
menu - picture - advanced settings and there was "screen" menu whitch is active only when they are connected (the tv is in dublicate mode) and it wasn`t active when not conected as a projector
And from that screen menu i could move the screen - left right up down like in the old monitors and there was a option auto alighn and it fixed it.
Hope i was helpful.
P.S. sorry for my english.

IagoJacinto

Estimable
Apr 14, 2014

Hellos

I had the same problem as bravodown, that freakin' black bar on the left. I'm glad i found this thread and this post... I never realised there was an option saying ''SCREEN' in the LGtv menu -__-'. Lol i've been playing in lower res in ages. So easy i feel dumb right now :3. Menu>Image>Screen>Adjust Screen. So epic thank you again.
Oh btw i forgot i'm actually using rgb cable (those blue ones) NOT an HDMI so if anyonelse is having the same problem there's no need to buy a cable.

Thanks
IagoJacinto

seanjd

Estimable
Apr 24, 2014
Hi , i had the same problem and came across this after reading peoples comments it took me litrally 2 seconds to sort it out i pressed menu on my tv remote went onto (screen) and it said auto cofig and 2 secs later it was done cant beleive i have been annoyed with it for months and it was that simple , ohh ye mine is a 42" LG tv aswell

wolfzerck

Estimable
May 5, 2014
this solved my problem:

1. right click on desktop
2. click on screen resolution
3. click on advanced settings
4. click on Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel Tab
5. click on Scaling drop down menu
6. Select "Center Image"
7. Apply

Hope that helps