Solved! I can't get rid of the Avast popup trying to sell me upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

gfinkelhoffer

Commendable
Jan 28, 2019
I am having trouble getting rid of the Avast popup window that is trying to sell me upgrades. There isn't an X to click, I can only minimize it. I've tried to exit out of my browser & that didn't help, it's still there. I don't want to reboot/shutdown because my hard drive is slowly dying & doesn't like to be shutdown & rebooted. Could somebody PLEASE HELP? Thanks.

Solution
Download the free trial of pro version revo uninstall.

https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Use it to completely remove the software and all associated files, folders, and registry items.

Don't ever use "free" anti virus like avast and avg.
Malwarebytes is nice. You have to pay for premium to get real time protection, but otherwise it's free and you can set it on a scan schedule.

If you had windows 10, it's built in anti virus called defender works pretty well.

Avast-Team

Estimable
Mar 3, 2017
Hi -- first of all, thanks for using Avast! We'd like to help. Is there any way that you can provide us with a screenshot of the popup and what it looks like? We can go from there to determine if this is behaving like it should.

Also, can you tell us which OS you are using? Are you on an unsupported OS (XP, Vista) or a newer OS?

You can also try an Online Repair of Avast to see if this resolves the issue -- depending on your version, this can be done through the Avast settings or through Control Panel (highlight Avast and click Change -> Select Online Repair)

Let us know if this helps!

gfinkelhoffer

Commendable
Jan 28, 2019
It's the 'welcome gift' popup. I tried to get a screenshot but it wouldn't take. PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO GET RID OF IT! I shouldn't have to go through a bunch of steps just to get rid of it. I still use Vista (I can't afford a new computer). So don't tell me that Avast isn't compatible because the free version downloaded just fine. But I made the MISTAKE of hitting the welcome gift button. I should have known you would hijack my computer just to sell me more stuff!

ElectrO_90

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016
You can always try and use something like ZHPCleaner to remove it or Malwarebytes maybe.
It's probably somewhere routed in your start up.
I agree with you, if the product was up to par, it wouldn't advertise constantly.
The other thing you can do is install WINPATROL that is really good at stopping stuff popping up, as you can see what is loading up easily and can delete/remove it.

Jun 16, 2018

If you are on the paid version most of the annoyance can be relieved fallign back to free version.
Programs and Settings->Uninstall Avast->in the first screen it should say "Do you want to switch back to free version?" do so.

However if you are on free ads rarely ever pop and they go off after 5 seconds, if not you need to let it open and close it. Otherwise shows a corruption, uninstall with Avast Removal Tool and reinstall.

P.S: I am surprised there Avast Team had an account.

gfinkelhoffer

Commendable
Jan 28, 2019

It is the free version. Also do you know how hard it is to DELETE Avast/AVG? And like I said in my other post there isn't an X or anyway to delete it, it just stays up until I minimize it. What makes me angry is 'The Avast Team' (team of what?) asked a question BUT NEVER CAME BACK TO FOLLOWUP! I even tried calling the 'help' number in the bottom right corner & was connected to a guy in India who told me he couldn't/wouldn't help because it was the free version!

Jun 16, 2018

Classic. Free versions don't include tech support.
Avast has aswClean program for it. It should be able to *completely* uninstall Avast.

xSimply1337x

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Download the free trial of pro version revo uninstall.

https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Use it to completely remove the software and all associated files, folders, and registry items.

Don't ever use "free" anti virus like avast and avg.
Malwarebytes is nice. You have to pay for premium to get real time protection, but otherwise it's free and you can set it on a scan schedule.

If you had windows 10, it's built in anti virus called defender works pretty well.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.