I can't play a movie on my TV

SirLipe

Estimable
Aug 6, 2015
I have a Sony Bravia TV and it can't play certain file formats so I changed the file format. I just changed it in the name, I didn't convert it or anything like that. I have tried converting with VLC and other stuff but nothing works. Anyways even with the file format that it was supposed to support it doesn't play it. Please help.

The file is in .mkv (not supported) so I changed it to .mp4 and .mpeg (it should support it) but it doesn't work.

Solution
There are more options out there, there's nothing I can do with so little information. Just search for video converters, and put the original extension to that file before trying to convert.

CircuitDaemon

Commendable
Feb 23, 2016
VLC or changing the extension is NOT the same thing as converting the file. You need software that's meant to convert the format. Try Xilisoft's software, they have plenty of options and one of the widest formats support.

SirLipe

Estimable
Aug 6, 2015

It's not converting it, I press start and it's been 30 min and the status bar is still fully gray.

CircuitDaemon

Commendable
Feb 23, 2016
There are more options out there, there's nothing I can do with so little information. Just search for video converters, and put the original extension to that file before trying to convert.

Solution