I can't stop this guy

Tozai

Estimable
Jun 2, 2015
m.icolor19495344.com (146.185.234.88)
Malicious File Download 14

Attacks me every time i log in. norton catches it, but my subscription ends and i'll be vulnerable for a while till i can replace it. I blocked the ip on the firewall, but i'm still getting the "attempted intrusion"

I've run scans, anti-spyware, everything, how can i ban this asshat permanently before he encrypts my system?

I'm running Windows 7 through a wired network.
the attack report:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=r2jodv&s=8

It only happens when I log in (usually 2 minutes in), so maybe its something in my startup that all the scans just don't see?

Solution

No. A clean install will definitely stop this guy in his tracks. Unfortunately, you will also have to install every other program that you are using. It's a PITA but will get the job done.

After you do that, install and run Malwarebytes, and make complete backups to an external disk regularly.

No. A clean install will definitely stop this guy in his tracks. Unfortunately, you will also have to install every other program that you are using. It's a PITA but will get the job done.

After you do that, install and run Malwarebytes, and make complete backups to an external disk regularly.

Solution

Beezqp

Estimable
Sep 20, 2015
I had this solved yesterday on my own and decided to share my solution - maybe it will help other people who get this nasty SOB and do not want to undergo format C.

For me this attempt was initialized by a Windows WSCRIPT.exe (it is mentioned in the alert from antivirus). This is a system application that runs a scheduled scripts from files with extension .vbs and .vbe. So I ran a system search to locate all the files with these extensions (you may need to make all hidden files visible first). vbs files seem to me as critical scripts to run the system, but I had only one .vbe file and it was created exactly when I downloaded the suspicious file... The path to the file was:

C:\ProgramData\Origin\update.vbe (nothing else was in the folder)

I removed this BS and get no more alerts on system start. Hopefully this will work for other folks as well.

Weird enough, none antivirus saw anything suspicious in the file itself so they didn't catch it during the system scan.

Tozai

Estimable
Jun 2, 2015

The file was there! deleting it stopped it entirely, thank you!