Solved! I changed battery five times, is my Toshiba laptop damaging the batteries?

Feb 21, 2020
Hi everyone,
I bought my renewed Satellite S85S-S5165 Toshiba laptop in October 2013, and I had changed the battery five times. My family members are now telling me that it might be an electric short in my laptop that makes it damaging all these batteries. So, how can I make sure that my laptop is or is not the main reason for all my batteries damages?

Solution
Well to have gotten 5 in 7 years is not that crazy. At least it isn't if you are buying aftermarket batteries. They can be very problematic, from going bad quickly to even damaging the laptop. So if that is what you have been using, and not OEM ones, then it is not shocking that you have had to replace it often.

Now if you have been using OEM ones, that is a different story. They should last much longer and give less problems.

It could also be a short as they suggest, or it could be a problem with the charger. If the charger is not the original or is damaged that this would also cause battery problems.

To check for a short in the laptop itself, well that will require some skill and the right tools. If you don't have these, then I...
Well to have gotten 5 in 7 years is not that crazy. At least it isn't if you are buying aftermarket batteries. They can be very problematic, from going bad quickly to even damaging the laptop. So if that is what you have been using, and not OEM ones, then it is not shocking that you have had to replace it often.

Now if you have been using OEM ones, that is a different story. They should last much longer and give less problems.

It could also be a short as they suggest, or it could be a problem with the charger. If the charger is not the original or is damaged that this would also cause battery problems.

To check for a short in the laptop itself, well that will require some skill and the right tools. If you don't have these, then I would suggest having it looked at by a local tech.

But, as I stated originally, if these are aftermarket batteries, then you can't really use them as a means to tell if the laptop has problems or not. Only if it is an OEM battery.

Reactions: helpstar
Solution