I clicked on a clickbait, It didn't download anything, am I fine?

willard_1

Estimable
Feb 3, 2016
Alright, So i clicked on a link someone sent me and it didnt download anything. I don't want my info stolen so im just wondering am i safe, Did it install malware secretly idk, Is it an ip logger, I have a vpn so I don't care if it's an ip logger aslong as it doesn't take credit card info.

Solution
Just run some good anti virus / anti malware.

Malwarebytes is free and very thorough. You can also run ESET Online scanner. If both of those pass without issue, I would not worry too much.

I would advise you to install ad block plus. It will block a lot of this click bait nonsense and is the first step to protecting yourself.

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... I typically un-plug the internet connection... that is what it is tying to use, and triggered by... When investigating further.
At this point... start Task manager and post a screen shot of the "Processes" Tab for us to look at.

1) a "GOOD" Restore Point" could reset thing to a earlier time... as a fast cure... look for the programs affected by this process too... re-install them again.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Just run some good anti virus / anti malware.

Malwarebytes is free and very thorough. You can also run ESET Online scanner. If both of those pass without issue, I would not worry too much.

I would advise you to install ad block plus. It will block a lot of this click bait nonsense and is the first step to protecting yourself.

Solution

willard_1

Estimable
Feb 3, 2016

I see nothing bad in processes, all google chrome steam origin, some razer synapse things.

willard_1

Estimable
Feb 3, 2016

I use ABP, I also have Malware bytes. Just run a full system scan?