I don't understand speaker wattage, specifically the ones I own. Please have a look, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheHammerOfficial

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016
Hey guy's! So I picked up a pair of Technics SB-A26's cheap, and the speakers sticker tells me that the input power is 240W. It says this on both speakers..does that mean both speakers are 240W each? Which would make it 480 watts in total...or is it 120 watts each, 240 watts in total? I am also looking to hook them up to this: http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-str-k900-av-receiver-5-1-channel/specs/ And I was wondering if I'd run into any problems? Thanks a lot guy's, it is appreciated. I barely know anything when it comes to audio setups.

Solution
A good amp that can output a clean 10 watts into good speakers will sound better than a mediocre amp outputting 80 bazillion watts into those same speakers.

Or, a clean wattage from a good amp, into crappy speakers that have a label of "987 watts"

Don't focus on those 'numbers'. Quality both in and out.

Rogue Leader

Distinguished
So that number is a bit of a misnomer. That is the maximum power handling of the speakers. The speakers do not put out 240w each, not unless you put an amplifier that powerful to them, but again thats a peak wattage. If you drove them that hard all the time you'd blow them to pieces.

The Amp you want is a little weak, I personally would put more power to them, but its not bad. It won't damage them, but if you can find something that puts out a bit more power (and is higher quality) you should get some great sound out of them. I have a pair of Technics of similar vintage and size, they are good for their time.

USAFRet

Illustrious
A good amp that can output a clean 10 watts into good speakers will sound better than a mediocre amp outputting 80 bazillion watts into those same speakers.

Or, a clean wattage from a good amp, into crappy speakers that have a label of "987 watts"

Don't focus on those 'numbers'. Quality both in and out.

Solution

gondo

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Those speakers are rated at 240w (music), 120W (din) each. They use music power because it's a big number and fools people into thinking they are good :) The DIN is actually a german rating which is roughly equivalent to 60W RMS.

People don't look too much at power rating of speakers though...there is more going on and you don't drive amps or speakers at full power. You'll get clipping, distortion, etc.... Music is usually listened to at around 10W or so not 200 Watts, so you can hook a 60W speaker to a 300W amp and listen to music without any damage. But Crank the amp to it's max and blow the speakers. 300W would power a PA in a large arena so don't be doing that :). However using an amp at max capacity gives distortion so that' no good. You don't want to get a 10W amp and crank it to 100%, it'll give distortion unless it's a high end $3000 amp. You are better off with a 50W amp and using it at 20% for 10W. The rule of thumb is not to drive an amp passed 50%.

Also note that Amp is rated at 6 ohm loads while those speakers at 8 ohms. That's good. Using 8ohm speakers will reduce the current draw and leave the amp running a bit cooler, but a bit less power output so speakers will be a bit quieter. And the amp is only rated for 90W at 6 ohms so a bit less at 8 ohms. You'll be fine. Just hook it up and start to turn the volume up. If the the speakers start to distort turn it down to prevent damaging the speakers. Just don't go cranking it trying to feed the neighborhood.

You really only look at speaker wattage ratings when you need really loud for a big room, cinema, concert setting, arena, etc... You want something that can handle the big PA amp without blowing. For household use you look at the sound quality of the speaker, not the power rating, and the sound quality of the amp not the power rating. It'll be fine for household use. The things to look for in speakers are impedance and sensitivity, not power rating. For an amp is impedance (current rating) and total harmonic distortion. Not wattage. Unless of course you're powering the sound system at the hockey game in an arena then it's different.

There are people who gig with 15w guitar amps and power clubs with it. Like I said you only listen to loud music around 10W. You'll never blow those speakers unless you crank the amp to the point that your an idiot and you deserve busted speakers. That's the kind of things teens do when their parents are not home. And you really only want to drive your amp 20% or so...too much and it'll distort unless its very high quality. So the more power your amp is, the better sound quality you'll get at 10W listening. The speakers don't have to match the amp. Just don't drive an amp passed the rating of the speakers or you'll distort then blow them. Normally an 80W amp is fine for a home theatre, cranked to 20W max or so to listen to a movie loud. If you have a very large living room maybe a bit more is desired. For a bedroom 50W is fine. Using a 200W amp in a house doesn't mean you need 200W speakers...it just means you only have to crank the amp 5% to get 10W of loudness. You can still use cheap 50W speakers on it. Just don't let your teenagers crank it while your gone and blow your speakers trying to be cool.

That's it in a nutshell without getting into the technical side of things.

TheHammerOfficial

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016

Oh, really?! Wow, I never would've guessed! Thank you so much for your time and knowledge my friend. It is truly appreciated!

TheHammerOfficial

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016

Excellent, thank you so much for the info! You guy's are helping me out a lot.

TheHammerOfficial

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016

That is absolutely amazing information you just provided me. Honestly, thanks for taking your time out to teach me what you know. I am also relieved to hear that I should have no issues! Thanks again my friend!

Status
Not open for further replies.