I got a really weird virus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 17, 2018
I recently got a virus on my pc, it will randomly open new tabs on google chrome onto a spam website, even when google chrome it closed. Ive tried running anti malware programs but one of them can find it, ive also reset chrome several times. recently when Ive been searching on anti malware websites my chrome will freeze, it is on a specific few websites where this occurs. I then had the plan to reset my pc and when I opened the tab it froze as well. I have no clue how to fix this can someone please help?

EDIT: I completely formatted the drive and used the media creation tool to reinstall windows, the virus is gone but it was a nasty one.

Joey2oo9

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
First things first stop your PC connecting to the internet to stop it downloading more crap. Then have a look in task manager to see what is running, if you're lucky you'll find some randomly named exe file running. Anything running from a temp directory is likely to be dodgy. You'll want to kill the running files and then delete them, or rename if not sure.

Nov 17, 2018

that was the weird thing with this virus, I checked almost every folder and even the task manager and nothing was showing up in the processes, its like it was invisible?? its gone now though so its fine.

Joey2oo9

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

Glad you got it sorted.

Status
Not open for further replies.