I have a IBM ThinkPad 390E... how much is it worth?

Oct 13, 2018
Hi all, I got an IBM ThinkPad 390E from a relative who wanted me to sell it. Funny thing is, no one else on the internet is selling one, and videos lead me to believe the laptop is slightly rare. Question is, how much is it worth?

Solution

I have a stack of laptops in my garage...a couple almost identical to that Thinkpad.
PII 233, ~6GB hard...

USAFRet

Illustrious

https://www.cnet.com/products/ibm-thinkpad-390e-2626-14-1-pii-win98-64-mb-ram-6-4-gb-hdd-series/specs/

We'd need the specific specs on this.
But...there are none for sale, because it is basically worth $0.

"rare" only counts to a collector.

Oct 13, 2018

Yes I have seen videos in which collectors have put this ThinkPad in their 'museum' per se. A ThinkPad 770E, a newer and worse laptop than this one goes for $430 here.

USAFRet

Illustrious

"here", is completely unknown. We don't know where you are.

Here in the US, that laptop is worth $0.

Oct 13, 2018

I think the use of the $ sign is pointer enough that I live in the US, and that the other one sells on eBay, meaning most likely national shipping. It doesn't matter where I live, but variants do sell. Stop being unhelpful by saying it's worth nothing, seen as it clearly is worth something as suggested by the fact that when delving into collector forums, IBM ThinkPads from round the 1999 era are very sought after. I just need a guideline. If you don't know what you're talking about because you only know modern hardware and it's values, then don't reply to this thread and be helpful by forwarding it to someone who does know.

USAFRet

Illustrious

I have a stack of laptops in my garage...a couple almost identical to that Thinkpad.
PII 233, ~6GB hard drive, 64GB RAM.
Others older, some newer.

Dell, Sony, HP, Fujitsu...

The use of the $ doesn't mean a lot, because a LOT of people around the world use USD as a common denominator.
A lot of people that frequent these forums.

What does an identical one sell for on ebay or craigslist?
If you think you can get $400 for it...put it up for that.

It may be worth something, to the right collector, and only to a collector.

Solution

bignastyid

Splendid
To 99% of the population it's old junk, rare or not it'snot worth much if anything. There is nothing special about it. Currently there is one on Ebay and the seller is asking $40. Maybe you should post in one of these "collectors" forums you found.

Also the $ is used by multiple countries not just the US.

Oct 13, 2018

Again, already tried it. For now there's no response.

kanewolf

Judicious

That "no response" may mean it really is worthless, even to most collectors. At some point you have to know when your time is worth more than the value you will get by selling.