I have an old high-end Yamaha receiver and and old but excellent Samsung TV. There is an HDMI inputs on the TV but none on t

Solution
Option 1
If your TV will pass 5.1 through its optical audio output then connect that to the receiver. Check the TV manual on how to turn the optical output on and set it correctly. On the receiver you may have to assign that connection to an input. The receiver manual will specify how.
Option 2
Connect all your sources to an HDMI Input selector with audio extraction. Connect it's optical output to your receiver as above. Connect the selector HDMI output to the TV.

Machinetoolguy

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Machinetoolguy : "Fire tv, Yamaha 5.1 receiver without HDMI , convert fire TV to RCA"

I have a high-end Yamaha receiver without HDMI only RCA,optical, S inputs. The Samsung TV does have HDMI so I run the HDMI for video directly to the TV And use optical for My Verizon and DVD player for the 5.1 Surroundsound My Amazon fire TV box only has HDMI so currently I just have it plugged into the TV and I'm forced to use the TVs speakers What is the best way to hook up the fire TV to the receiver to get my 5.1 surround sound I see various things on the market but I'm not sure what to buy. Thank you everyone in advance for your assistance

Option 1
If your TV will pass 5.1 through its optical audio output then connect that to the receiver. Check the TV manual on how to turn the optical output on and set it correctly. On the receiver you may have to assign that connection to an input. The receiver manual will specify how.
Option 2
Connect all your sources to an HDMI Input selector with audio extraction. Connect it's optical output to your receiver as above. Connect the selector HDMI output to the TV.

Solution