I have an older TV (1 HDMI and coax outputs). I would like to connect cable box (1 HDMI, 1 Optical)

Mar 15, 2018
I have an older TV(1 HDMI and coaxial output); I would like to connect a cable box with one HDMI and one optical output, a DVD player with HDMI output, a Pioneer soundbar with 1 set of coax and 1 Optical) and Amazon fire stick to an HDMI splitter.

Solution
See this is what's not making sense to me. The audio outputs from your HDTV *SHOULD* be providing the necessary audio input for your sound bar. Direct connection to the component works, but going through the HDTV does not.

Does the PS3 have optical audio out?
Can you continue with tests 3 and 4?

-Wolf sends
You need (at least) and 3x1 HDMI switch (not a splitter). Unless your sound bar has an HDMI input, I'd probably disregard it at this point. The cable box, the DVD Player, and the Amazon Fire Stick would all connect via HDMI to the switch and the one switch output would go to the HDTV (if you sound bar has an HDMI ports, it would go there instead and the sound bar's output would go to the HDTV.

But of course, everything is in the details. If you could provide model numbers for each component, we might be able to figure something else out.

-Wolf sends

Mar 15, 2018
@Wolfshdw
Thank you for your reply. I actually have 5x1 HDMI switch (Sabrent ST-HDMI)
Components:
Pioneer Soundbar (SP-SB23W)
Amazon FireStick
Polaroid TV (FLM 3732) December 2006
at&t U-verse set box (CISCO ISB7005)
PS3
Although the TV has an optical output, I have been unable to use it to connect to soundbar (no sound out)
I have previously connected soundbar to Cisco box and can get audio via Optical output; consequently by using this setup I am only to get sound from soundbar when using cable box- only get sound from TV speakers (very poor quality) when using FireStick or PS3. Any ideas ?

Sound Bar's User's Manual Pgs. 6-7
User's Manual Pg. 11

OK.

So looking at your set up, having the optical audio connection between the TV and the Sound Bar *SHOULD* have worked. The only thing I can see as an issue would be the sound bar's audio source not being set (Pg. 6 User's Manual).

Test 1)
Connect the ATT Set top box directly to the HDTV via HDMI.
Connect the HDTV to the Sound Bar via Optical audio.
Turn both units on
Make sure the Sound Bar Source is set to Digital.
Do you get audio?

Test 2)
Connect the ATT Set top box directly to the HDTV via HDMI.
Connect the ATT Set top box to the Sound Bar via Optical audio.
Turn both units on
Make sure the Sound Bar Source is set to Digital.
Do you get audio?

If either of these tests work, shut every thing down (everything should be powered off when making connections) and change the connection from the ATT Set Top Box to the HDTV to From the ATT Set Top Box to the HDMI Switch and from the HDMI Switch to the HDTV and then retest 1 and 2.

Test 3)
Connect the ATT Set top box directly to the HDTV via either composite (Yellow/Red/White) and component (Red/Blue/Green/Red/White).
Connect the HDTV to the Sound Bar via analog audio (Red/White).
Turn both units on
Make sure the Sound Bar Source is set to Analog.
Do you get audio?

Test 4)
Connect the ATT Set top box directly to the HDTV via either composite (Yellow/Red/White) and component (Red/Blue/Green/Red/White).
Connect the ATT Set top box to the Sound Bar via Optical audio.
Turn both units on
Make sure the Sound Bar Source is set to Analog.
Do you get audio?

Run these tests and let me know the results.

-Wolf sends

Mar 15, 2018
Wolf-
Test one failed no sound from optical on TV to optical on sound bar. Made sure that Soundbar was in digital mode.
Test two passed.
Connected HDTV to switch via HDMI, ATT box out to switch and Optical from ATT box to soundbar-test passed.
When I use switch for fire TV, sound only comes from TV. Is there any way to get sound from Soundbar when using Fire TV?

See this is what's not making sense to me. The audio outputs from your HDTV *SHOULD* be providing the necessary audio input for your sound bar. Direct connection to the component works, but going through the HDTV does not.

Does the PS3 have optical audio out?
Can you continue with tests 3 and 4?

-Wolf sends

Solution