I have MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) and OS is in a separate partition of 50GB. and other partition empty with over 200GB.

muralikavi

Estimable
Sep 6, 2015
I have MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) and OS is in a separate partition of 50GB. and other partition has files and have empty with over 200GB. When I attempt to update SIERRA, I get message there is no space. I am getting frequent messages saying no space even though I have over 200GB space. I want to reformat to Factory setting and get rid of partition. Pl let me know if partition will remain or go away when set to factory setting. Further when I back up using TIME MACHINE AND EXTERNAL Drive, will I need loading OS like we do in Windows?

Solution
You could shrink or remove the 200gb partition and then expand the 50gb partition using Disk Utility which can be found in Applications>Utilities.
Please make a backup first, if you don't already have one, in case things go horribly wrong.

popatim

Splendid
You could shrink or remove the 200gb partition and then expand the 50gb partition using Disk Utility which can be found in Applications>Utilities.
Please make a backup first, if you don't already have one, in case things go horribly wrong.

Solution