i have my mac address, ip address and serial number, can i track my stolen laptop? help me pliz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saphan

Estimable
Mar 19, 2014
i have my mac address, ip address and serial number, can i track my stolen laptop? help me please.

Solution
Short answer: it is possbile but really hard to achieve.
1) It have to be connected to the internet.
2) Mac address can be changed
3) When laptop is used within network with router or firewall it wont be shown outside.
4) There has to be some institution who actually collect such data from ISP's which is hardly an option due to law. From what i know its hard to track a cell phones so MAC address would be even harder. From what i know in Europe there has to be a good reason to do so. Police or a court need to send request to the ISP.. cell network etc... so the its a long way to even try.

Ra_V_en

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
Short answer: it is possbile but really hard to achieve.
1) It have to be connected to the internet.
2) Mac address can be changed
3) When laptop is used within network with router or firewall it wont be shown outside.
4) There has to be some institution who actually collect such data from ISP's which is hardly an option due to law. From what i know its hard to track a cell phones so MAC address would be even harder. From what i know in Europe there has to be a good reason to do so. Police or a court need to send request to the ISP.. cell network etc... so the its a long way to even try.

Solution

bryonhowley

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
Short answer: Write it off. Sorry but there is little chance of finding that laptop again unless the person who stole it hands it to the police!. I know that is not what you want to hear but it is what it is.

The IP address would do you no good as it chances with every connection to the net. The serial number would do you no good unless the police was looking at the laptop in person. And as far as the MAC address it is really hard to track any thing by just the MAC address.

Pacina

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012

Like said above you'll need a court order to force ISP's to track all mac address of every device connected to there network so unless you have research worth billions on the laptop your out of luck sorry.
You could give your local police station the serial number in the off chance they get the laptop somehow they will check it and give it back to you.
Best bet get a new one and forget about it

Status
Not open for further replies.