I live on the outskirts of Mobile Alabama and with an HD antenna I cannot pick up Fox and it's only 20 miles away

Aug 13, 2018
I am in the outskirts of Mobile Alabama I have an HD antenna that set for 40 miles I cannot pick up Fox and it's only 20 miles away do I need an amplifier?

Solution
Amplifiers don't work like that. I am guessing it just isn't pointing in the right direction and being a high powered one, it is actually more sensitive to being accurate than a less sensitive.
Think of it as an angle - unless that angle is directly at the Mast, you won't pick it up.
If you can find the mast on a map then know what degree it is at compared to you, then you should get a decent signal.

ElectrO_90

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016
Amplifiers don't work like that. I am guessing it just isn't pointing in the right direction and being a high powered one, it is actually more sensitive to being accurate than a less sensitive.
Think of it as an angle - unless that angle is directly at the Mast, you won't pick it up.
If you can find the mast on a map then know what degree it is at compared to you, then you should get a decent signal.

Solution

ElectrO_90

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016
Amplifiers amplify all the signal - eg if you have a good signal, it will amplifier the good, if you have a fuzzy signal, it just amplifies the noise as well.

100% make sure you got it pointing in the right direction before buying expensive equipment you may not need.