News I love my LG OLED TV — but there's one infuriating problem

Jan 2, 2022
Thanks for the article, I have to ask if you're using a receiver or have the sound bar directly plugged into your TV? I planned on upgrading my TV in 2022 and it's been between the LG C1 or possibly new C2 or the Samsung QN90 but this could be a deal breaker for me.

Dec 25, 2021
Honestly I don’t get it. My two year old LED TV looks fantastic. HDR10 movies look as good as any movie theater and the sound through my sound bar is so good that I often mistake movie sound effects for something happening outside or in the next room. I have looked at OLED screens in stores and I don’t see anything that makes me think I’m missing out.

Dec 14, 2021
That big a sound delay? The TV is busted. Plain and simple. Take it back. When LG starts getting a flood of expensive returns, then I'm sure they'll fix it.

Jan 2, 2022
Thanks for the article. I think it highlights an issue that has long been ignored by LG. Maybe the article should have stated clearly that this issue is related to setups where the TV forwards Dolby audio to external speakers using HDMI ARC/eARC. If you have a receiver to do that job, you're fine. You are also fine if you use internal speakers or optical. Some of the proposed fixes online have the unintended side effect of downgrading audio quality. That is a shame if your input source and sound setup both are capable of Dolby Atmos for example.

Jan 2, 2022
Its not just a LG issue. I have a Hisense 55U6EU that also gets lip synch issues. Occurs with Apple TV, FireTV, Shield, etc. On mine it is something to do with pausing video. Doesn't occur right away but as you are watching and the pausing something multiple times it then starts to add a delay. (Doesnt matter the app either, Netflix, Amazon, etc) As long as you use the tv speakers your fine, but three different sound bars have all shown the issue.

Only fix I found is to use HDMI to the sound bar first - but unfortunately with this model it doesn't have the ability to turn off TV sound. Tempted to give that Sharc device a try, but to much money sunk on this lemon of a tv.

Jan 13, 2022
Thanks for the article! It's annoying how LG is handling the problem...
I've found another user (Kleine Koosjer) in the Microsoft Forum suggesting to put a feintech vax01202 between TV and AV.
Please, Imad, keep asking LG about the issue!!

Apr 21, 2022
My input setup:
  1. RTX3070 > HDMI 2.1 cable > LG C9 65"
  2. Chromecast > LG C9 65"
My output setup:
LG C9 65" > HDMI 2.1 cable via eARC > Samsung Q850t

TV is set to passthrough any audio with no processing, no AI Sound etc.

For my PC, I have it set to output PCM 5.1 at the highest bitrate and bit depth possible, in this mode there is no perceivable AV sync issues with a 4k 120hz 10bit video signal in 4:4:4 RGB. I can also output Atmos and the AV sync is fine but there is an annoying bug where the first 1s or so of any new Atmos audio stream is silent so you miss all notification sounds on windows, that forced me back to PCM 5.1 to avoid the silence issue.

If any internal apps (Netflix, Disney+, etc) output atmos there is an unbearably bad audio delay that is unfixable from the soundbar or TV settings. The delay is reduced if you can select a non-atmos sound stream but sadly in some apps there is no option to select a "lower quality" audio source. I tried to watch a Dolby Vision + Dolby Atmos Moon Knight episode on Disney+ and the AV sync was awful so I aquired a non-atmos copy to watch directly from my PC and had to sacrifice Dolby Vision in the process.

Seeing as LG have not fixed this issue and have essentially no communication about it I will never be buying a LG TV again. Waiting on the new Sony QD-OLED, once it's out I'll sell my C9to someone and never have to deal with LG again.

Class Action against LG anyone?