I Loved the HTC One, But the Romance is Over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marius Cirsta

Estimable
May 6, 2014
Well to be quite honest I thought this was another article about how someone ditches something ( HTC smartphone this time ) to get one of the "magical" Apple products :)

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I have a black M7 and it has been a great phone. Still if not the best, one of the best looking displays out there. The display went down hill starting with the M8. It is just the right size and those front speakers make a difference. I will keep on eye on the remaining "flagship phones" to decide whether one of those meets my expectations or if I just hold on to a trusty old phone for another year. But I'm not getting an M9 and I'm not crazy about the galaxy 6 either.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Don't tell me...the second article this week trying to convert readers to Apple? No thanks.
Nope, keep reading it. It's about the downhill HTC trajectory (such a shame after the stellar turnaround with the M7) and switching to SGS 6 Edge.
I can't really blame you (and other readers, myself included) for thinking it was another Apple commercial for a minute (considering the title). Been quite a few of these lately.

rutherfordsc

Estimable
Jul 21, 2014

I bought a SAMSUNG Galaxy S6 Edge. Come on, at least read the article.

DocBones

Estimable
Apr 9, 2015
I would hold off and see what Sony has coming up. I went from the HTC M8 to Z3 and very happy with that change. The water resistance feature is great - once you have phone that you don't have to pamper - its really a change in how you use it.

ammaross

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
I was all ready to buy an HTC M9 until I saw the performance, heat, and camera reviews. The camera was the nail in the coffin, as I needed a high MP camera that could at least tie or beat an iPhone (not a terribly high bar, except that 8MP gives them an edge for low-light).

The G6 was already dead to me due to dropping the microSD card (yes, I frequently shoot 1GB 1080p60 video with it when my camcorder isn't handy) and I store a LOT of pictures on it. A non-unlimited data plan makes local storage a MUST.

I'm holding out hope for the LG G4, since it's supposed (rumored) to have a microSD slot and a new camera (16MP with F/1.8). The 1440p screen is a nice toss-in, but the Snapdragon 810 could make it a tough (but acceptable) sell. At this point, phones may be circling the drain until Samsung releases the Note 5 or another "alpha" phone that keeps the microSD card slot.

Yes, there's always an iPhone (if you ignore the microSD slot issue), but if we were considering an iPhone, my problem would be solved since I'd have no options anyway. :p

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Might want to update and check your sources. Looks like the camera just got a fix from HTC via software upgrade

saiprasad30

Estimable
Apr 9, 2015
@Sam, If you think HTC M9 is not a good upgrade from M8. Samsung's even worse.
S5 to an S6 I do not feel there is any need to change. Touchwiz is worse than Sense.
May be next year a similar article with going to another Brand.. Sony..

Been a Galaxy user for the last 4 years.

nniillaa

Estimable
Mar 2, 2015
Dont know how you can do it personally. I currently have an Xperia Z which I know was famous for bad battery but its the first phone I've had that had a fixed battery. I've hated it and its made my life hell constantly looking for plugs.
I've been eagerly awaiting the S6 so I could finally have a phone that gave me what I wanted and the S5 looked like my ideal phone. The S6 took away the features I loved most though to give me something 'pretty' - I'm going to have to go for the Note it appears which is sad having to buy a phone that is already 7 months old :(

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
No. It is just Samsung have been more aggressive to compete with Apple and leaving other Android makers behind. I hope Samsung makes the Nexus again.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
Trying out both the S6 and S6 Edge I decided to get the plain Jane S6. The Edge is aptly named because it has a hard Edge that is uncomfortable to hold. The Edge design is attractive, but its utility is marginal (literally marginal) because your favorite contacts and streaming tickers have very little use.

I also looked at the reviews on the specs and it appears that while the two handsets are similar the Edge has some inferior characteristics in color temperature and display in direct sunlight.

I considered the HTC M9, but the Snapdragon 810's heating problems have not been solved, and the inferior camera tipped the scale (although I liked the dolby sound).

I wouldn't jump into the Crapple ecosystem nor select an outmoded dual core processor.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Well you M7 is 2 years old and have lived its time. I'm sure it served it time well. Im still using a HTC One VX looking to upgrade but not unless my phone breaks.

I would go with Samsung but those exploding batteries is something so consider since it did happen to my ex (blamed me it lol). A very serious wide spread issue that they completely denied even though some of the phones have burned down homes, busted in peoples pockets, etc. I look forward to the follow up in 2 years.

rutherfordsc

Estimable
Jul 21, 2014
Love?
Dude, they are just phones.

As silly as it may sound, seeing the new tech and design on phones is super exciting for me.

If it wasn't the S6 Edge, the other phones I considered are the upcoming S6 Active which looks like it will have a microSD slot and a bigger battery, and the Sony Z4 (front facing speakers and a two-step shutter button are a powerful combo).

I'm interested in what the Note 5 and LG G4 will have to offer, but the Note series is a little big for my taste, and the G$ may end up being a sidegrade instead of a true advancement.

kamranki

Distinguished
May 4, 2012
While LG makes some fine hardware, but oh, I despise their UX!! While Touchwiz is something that I myself don't fancy, it is still ahead of LG's UX in terms of consistency and looks. I would stick with Nexus (1st choice) or Samsung S6 or Note (2nd Choice).

Simon Anderson

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013
The Samsung interface and GUI design for it's standard apps is vomit inducing... hire a graphic designer or give you're existing one more power for crying out loud :p "ooo lets make contacts heads randomly tan or mustard or some strange green colour! people will LOVE that!" no Samsung... no.... bad samsung...

Status
Not open for further replies.