I need a Laptop to do Video editing New Alienware 17.3 2015 laptop???

Denis Hiza

Estimable
Jan 28, 2015
I need a Laptop to do Video editing (Premiere Pro, After Effect, Photoshop, etc) as my backup and on the go computer. I was thinking to buy the New Alienware 17.3 2015 laptop? any suggestions? Are they over prancing? Did they made a good upgrades from the old Alienwares 2014 laptops? Thanks

Solution
Alienware is overpriced and many of their models have overheating issues. I'd go with something from ASUS or Lenovo that has an i7 and at least a GTX 850m, preferably an 860m or higher, and at least 8GB of RAM, with 16GB being much better for high end video applications.
Alienware is overpriced and many of their models have overheating issues. I'd go with something from ASUS or Lenovo that has an i7 and at least a GTX 850m, preferably an 860m or higher, and at least 8GB of RAM, with 16GB being much better for high end video applications.

Solution

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
I have an Alienware 18 which has huge vents and multi-fans. Your going to pay around the same for an ASUS, Alienware or MSI for the same components. My 18 has Nvidia 860 SLI graphics (2 graphics cards). For me to upgrade to the 880 would be like 1000 more. The 2015 models the Nvidia 980 is available. The 17" only has a single 980 and heat problems happen when gaming with stuff like overclocking. I would recommend the Alienware 17. The 2015 Alienware have the option of purchasing a separate graphics amplifier which gives you a desktop graphics card without the heat in the laptop.

Alienware seems to have a much MORE common tendency for overheating with their laptops. Especially after the first three months. I can't tell you why, only that it's what I see in too many threads and customer units to account for anything other than it being an Alienware issue.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

Well with my Alienware I never even hear the fans. I have SLI graphics and it has 3 fans and super huge vents. The case is huge because it has better heat distribution. The biggest reason for over heating is overclocking but the are more heating problems with ANY brand that is overclocked.

Absolutely true, AND with a model that has three fans, I'd agree that overheating is much less likely, but still always a possibility. In reality, almost any model with high end graphic solutions, especially if there are dual graphics adapters, has an increased possibility of heat issues, mainly during extended use.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
Yes that's what scares me about even the gaming laptops getting thinner. But Alienware is trying to move most of the heat to the graphics amplifier. One thing on my Alienware is when I plug to aTV via HDMI it forces me to switch to the integrated graphics which will requirers a restart. Also if switch to battery a message pops up to hit function F5 to switch graphics so it uses less power.