I need help choosing a computer for school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xanadu02

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
Hello, I'm trying to decide on a computer for school. I recently built a desktop that fits my needs, but will be living in France for my final year. As I cannot take the desktop with me I will need a laptop. I am an architecture student so the computer will need to be able to run Autodesk software smoothly as well as Programs such as photoshop and anything else I may need to run.

I seem to have narrowed my search slightly, but don't want to pay for unnecessary features.

1. Macbook Pro 15" $2100

2.2GHz quad-core
Intel Core i7
4GB 1333MHz
750GB 5400-rpm1
Intel HD Graphics 3000
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5

A friend of mine recommended this computer touting it as the "most balanced" computer on the market currently. I've never owned a mac, but am starting to consider it. I checked them out and the customer service is impeccable and they have homogenized stores globally. Not only that I really like the one piece aluminum body which coupled with the new lion OS-X should make the computer last for years. The only problem is the price which seems exorbitant even for such a fine machine.

2. Alienware M14x $1500

Intel® Core™ i7 2630QM 2.0GHz (2.9GHz w/Turbo Boost, 6MB Cache)
Intel® Advanced-N WiFi Link 6250 a/g/n 2x2 MIMO Technology with WiMax
500GB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s
8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz
3.0GB DDR3 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M using NVIDIA Optimus™ technology

This computer seems pretty good. I haven't had the chance to play around with an alienware yet so I don't really know what kind of durability they have. (i really like that one piece aluminum body :/) admittedly, most of the time i use the computer I will probably be indoors or on a train. It will most likely travel with me every day so needs to be somewhat durable.)

3. Something less expensive.

I haven't seen anything that really piques my interest in this field. Any other suggestions would be very welcome. I'm willing to spend as much as around $2000 but would prefer something at half that (which I know is asking a lot.)

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas please feel free to share them.

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
Macs do have excellent build quality, but you are paying at least 50% mark up for the Mac brand alone. OSX on Macs tends to manage system attached devices / peripherals much better as well, leading to better battery life.

Sager/AW/Asus have some decent laptops that will give you about equal price/performance for significantly less cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.