I need help removing malware! :(

Divibal

Commendable
Apr 15, 2016
So i saw youtube video on how to download prey for free (yes im guilty). It gave a link to download the file but i first checked the comments and ratio of likes and dislikes. Everything looked promising and positive.

I then started download and noticed it hid itself in the tray on the right. I immediatly tried to stop the intallation but it was too late :(. It automatically installed something called 'yeadesktop' along with other software. I then noticed my desktop icons copied over to my second screen in a lower resolution. I then tried to open my browser and it was flooded with adds and malware. I tried uninstalling the different software but the main one asked for a verification code when trying to uninstall in chinese which i just ignored.

I disconnected my ethernet cable en left my pc off for incase it does something harmfull.

Can somebody please help me to remove it :(

Solution
If the standard tools do not 'fix it'...Malwarebytes, Kaspersky, Hitman Pro, whatever other AV you use...

Nuke it and reinstall everything.

If a family member came to me with a PC in this state, I would spend about 3 minutes in 'fixing it'.
After that...wipe and reinstall.
All your stuff is gone? Too bad, so sad..."You won't do that again, will you?"

It's like sometimes, you have to let the little kid touch the hot stovetop.

Karadjgne

Distinguished
Herald
Malwarebytes. Kaspersky, Spybot - Search and Destroy are generally the most affective malware removers. Once you download one, and update the definitions, unplug the Internet. Run it several times. Download another, unplug, run it several times. Not every malware checker is 100%, they rely on users to upload malware found so it can be incorporated in new definitions. So multiple checks are warranted.

Don't do it again. It's software piracy.

USAFRet

Illustrious
If the standard tools do not 'fix it'...Malwarebytes, Kaspersky, Hitman Pro, whatever other AV you use...

Nuke it and reinstall everything.

If a family member came to me with a PC in this state, I would spend about 3 minutes in 'fixing it'.
After that...wipe and reinstall.
All your stuff is gone? Too bad, so sad..."You won't do that again, will you?"

It's like sometimes, you have to let the little kid touch the hot stovetop.

Solution

Divibal

Commendable
Apr 15, 2016

Haha well said. Luckily i have n ssd and harddrive. I only have drivers and OS on ssd and it seemed like the malware was installed on c drive(ssd) if i saw correctly. I will try the software you guys provided first thing next morning and if it fails, then plan B...

USAFRet

Illustrious

Yes, it installed itself on the OS drive, the C.
However, files on any other connected drive may be affected.

Karadjgne

Distinguished
Herald
Many of today's most vicious malware/Trojans are sleepers. When first downloaded, they throw out safety/standby return programs. You can totally delete the parent malware, just to have the sleeper on E drive to a registry check, not find the parent and next time you activate the browser it re-downloads and reinstalls the parent automatically without you blessing or knowledge. So make sure you run full heuristic scans on all associated drives, of all files, not just a quick scan (that only checks common places like system folders etc)

Divibal

Commendable
Apr 15, 2016
Okay so i used 5 different antimalware programs to try and remove all off the malware. malwarebytes picked up 697 threats which it then removed. the other programs found 16 or so other threats which was also removed. At the moment everything seems to be fine except for my browser. I keep getting redirected according to malwarebytes. also when i google the links, i get search results mentioning it to be a browser hijacker.

So i decided i will nuke my C drive as i am unable to find anything else. my cpu usage and RAM is also acting suspicious... I have not yet found any malware or viruses on my D drive, so i wil keep it untouched for now.

So i saw an option in the settings to reset pc and read online that if I choose that option as well as to wipe everything on c drive that my OS will reinstall itself and also that i dont have to enter a product key again. Is this true and will it be able to remove any remaining viruses/malware using this method? Thanks