I need help with laptop prices

SareMa

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013
Hello! I am about to purchase a new notebook, but i just can't understand the prices.

My first choice was HP Pavilion 13-s005nc x360, which costs around 814 euros in my country. It has i5-5200U with iGP and touch screen.

The second i found is MSI GP60 2QF-870CZ Leopard Pro, which costs around 1000 euros. It has i7 4720HQ and GTX 950M.

My question is, why is the mediocre notebook with integrated graphics price so high, when it does not have anything special other than the touch screen. I want a simple, lightweight notebook for light AutoCAD drawing and for office in school, but the extra 200 euroes makes a lot more sense considering it has true quad core, hyperthreaded i7 and beefy gpu.

If you don't mind Czech language, can you help me find a decent lightweight notebook at Alza.cz, because i'm getting lost in so many models.

Thank you for your time, Martin.

PS: I just found out that you can swap languages at Alza in right top corner.

Solution
In the US the price difference between two laptops with the exact same specs, but one has a touchscreen is about $100 so that is one reason why the HP Pavilion might seem to be expensive.

The HP is also a convertible notebook since you can fold the keyboard around and use it like a tablet. That involves more engineering than a normal laptop so it increases cost. These types of laptops are also popular so people are generally willing to pay extra for that feature.

Lastly, the HP is a 13.3" laptop with a pretty decent CPU. 13.3" laptops are small and lightweight which again requires more engineering compared to a typically 14" or 15" laptop so that adds to the price of the laptop. laptops of this size is also pretty popular to they are...
In the US the price difference between two laptops with the exact same specs, but one has a touchscreen is about $100 so that is one reason why the HP Pavilion might seem to be expensive.

The HP is also a convertible notebook since you can fold the keyboard around and use it like a tablet. That involves more engineering than a normal laptop so it increases cost. These types of laptops are also popular so people are generally willing to pay extra for that feature.

Lastly, the HP is a 13.3" laptop with a pretty decent CPU. 13.3" laptops are small and lightweight which again requires more engineering compared to a typically 14" or 15" laptop so that adds to the price of the laptop. laptops of this size is also pretty popular to they are very portable and just as powerful as most 14" and 15" laptops.

Solution

SareMa

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013

Thank you for reply and explanation. Do you know these HP notebooks? Because i have one older at home (HP Probook 4530s) and it has really, really bad cooling. (98°C CPU in load, throttled) Did they fix this issue over the years or should i expect the same? Also do you think Broadwell is worth it or should i stay with Haswell?

I also found a decent notebook, which has new series AMD APU. (HP Pavilion 15-ab078nc) My question is if AMD is worth it in notebooks, since it's usually really power hungry. (AMD A10-8700P paired with Radeon M360 2GB)

Thank you, Martin.

SareMa

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013

Hey, i don't have experience with MSI, but HP always seemed to me like a decent company.

MSI is a good brand. Before they started selling laptops under their own name they built laptops for other major name brands like HP and Dell.

Which laptop is best for you depends on what you want to do with it. The MSI is a gaming laptop, but it will probably only have around 3 - 4 hours of battery life when not playing games. It is also heavier than the HP. The HP is more for someone who will be using the laptop for day to day stuff and needs to carry a laptop around that is not too heavy to drag them down. Battery life is probably around 5 - 6 hours, it could be higher than that, but you need to read / watch reviews to find out. It is not a gaming laptop, but it can be used to play some games if you do not have very high expectations.