I need help with Windows Registry Checker Tool (Scanreg.exe)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 17, 2018
so i've been using ccleaner and just stopped and uninstalled it because i realized it's bad for the computer overall, how do i repair my registry with windows?

Solution
When you start your computer successfully, the Windows Registry Checker tool (Scanreg.exe) creates a backup of system files and registry configuration information (including user account information, protocol bindings, software program settings, and user preferences) once daily. Files that Windows Registry Checker backs up include System.dat, User.dat, System.ini, and Win.ini.

This is an automatic process.

Windows Registry Checker automatically scans the system registry for invalid entries and empty data blocks when it is started. If invalid registry entries are detected, Windows Registry Checker automatically restores a previous day's backup. This is equivalent to running the scanreg /autorun command from a command prompt...

Colif

Distinguished
When you start your computer successfully, the Windows Registry Checker tool (Scanreg.exe) creates a backup of system files and registry configuration information (including user account information, protocol bindings, software program settings, and user preferences) once daily. Files that Windows Registry Checker backs up include System.dat, User.dat, System.ini, and Win.ini.

This is an automatic process.

Windows Registry Checker automatically scans the system registry for invalid entries and empty data blocks when it is started. If invalid registry entries are detected, Windows Registry Checker automatically restores a previous day's backup. This is equivalent to running the scanreg /autorun command from a command prompt. If no backups are available, Windows Registry Checker tries to make repairs to the registry. This is equivalent to running the scanreg /fix command from a command prompt. If the registry contains more than 500 KB of empty data blocks, Windows Registry Checker automatically optimizes it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/183887/description-of-the-windows-registry-checker-tool-scanreg-exe

You can run SFC Scannow and DISM to fix corrupted files as well
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, DISM cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

I generally leave the registry alone and hope it doesn't break randomly

Solution

Colif

Distinguished
I don't know for sure, ccleaner may clean more than just the registry and also delete the backup file in the process of cleaning up space. I remember installing it on this PC one day after I got it and it removed files i had only just created. I generally just leave the registry alone

Status
Not open for further replies.