I need some help as I think my laptop GPU Broke. Help Please

Kiefer0

Estimable
Nov 20, 2014
Hello,

So here is what happened my Laptop sudden;y shut down and I'm unsure as to why, but it didn't want to start up I had some overheating problems before but I fixed them. Anyways after a while the computer finally booted up and seemed to have nothing wrong with it,but I did notice a kind of smell that maybe burnt electronic smell.. The problem is that my computer doesn't see my nvidia card anymore which I think it means the card is dead, but what complexes me is that neither of my two cards show up as I have a built in one and the nvidia one.. I don't even know what this could mean as I'm still able to go onto the web and do other things such as watch videos, but games and my computer doesn't recognize they are there. Also my GPU-Z doesn't see them either, and i'm just lost and confused could it be something else and not that my gpu is broken or do i need to replace it? please help in anyway possible.

my Computer: MSI GT70 0nd-202us
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GT675m & Intel hd4000
CPU: Intel core i7-3610qm

If anything else is needed let me know. One other thing to mention is my fan seems to be stuck in high now too

Solution
While there wasn't a direct answer i did find out that yes my card was fried, but thankfully gpus in msi laptops are easy to replace as they are not attached to the mother board I just need to save up a bit of cash to replace.

Kiefer0

Estimable
Nov 20, 2014

I have no problem opening the computer up and replacing the card but I want to know forsure if its the card or something worse or any other things it could be.

gilbadon

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
Your laptop is using the i7's built in GPU (HD4000). If that is not good enough for your needs you will have to replace the secondary GPU. Yes it sounds like that got fried.

Kiefer0

Estimable
Nov 20, 2014

I would agree but I can't seem to use it as when I try to boot up a game that normally could be played by that card it won't I mean I can't even boot up the launcher do I need to remove all my nivdia drivers as all my game where previously told to use this card or what? I don't think its that easy to answer. but yes //i think the nvida one is probably fried but then how do I use my built in one as I can't seem to use it like i could before on games.

Kiefer0

Estimable
Nov 20, 2014
While there wasn't a direct answer i did find out that yes my card was fried, but thankfully gpus in msi laptops are easy to replace as they are not attached to the mother board I just need to save up a bit of cash to replace.

Solution