I recently bought a headset, but my laptop only has 1 combined mic/headphone jack, and the mic doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Motimon

Estimable
Nov 23, 2015
hi, i have problem with my headset, or any kind of microphone. I have LENOVO B7080, i bought two different adapters, none of them works, only speakers work.

I've read all the other posts and checked all this:
"These headphones come with two cords, make sure you are using the one with a microphone.
Check that the 3.5mm plug has 4 metal sections rather than three.
Check that the plug is connected all the way in, the microphone input is the connection closest to the cord and hence the one most likely to stick out.
Are you sure the jack on your laptop is combined headphone and microphone?"

Solution
I had this same issue including only one mic being displayed.
I have Realtek HD Audio Manager on my laptop (as you likely do)
When you plug a new audio device (like a combined 3.5mm jack for your headphones) it will (most of the time) prompt you if the new device is:

-Speaker
or
-Headphones

Since speakers cannot possibly have built in microphones, if you pick this it will default to the mic on the laptop.
I dont know if you have this same sound manager, but if you do, you can force to prompt box to pup up
by following:

⊞>"Realtek HD Audio Manager"
Look for the panel on the right labled "Analog"
There should be a small folder in the top right corner of that panel.
Click it and enable "Enable auto popup dialogue, when device...

Motimon

Estimable
Nov 23, 2015

As i mentioned in first post, i've already bought two different adapters, one of them is exactly the one you sent me
- in recording devices panel i have only one mic, represented by standing table microphone icon
- tnx for trying to help, but i thing the solution of this problem is more complex than buying a new adapter, something else must be wrong

TheOncelor

Estimable
Dec 30, 2015
I had this same issue including only one mic being displayed.
I have Realtek HD Audio Manager on my laptop (as you likely do)
When you plug a new audio device (like a combined 3.5mm jack for your headphones) it will (most of the time) prompt you if the new device is:

-Speaker
or
-Headphones

Since speakers cannot possibly have built in microphones, if you pick this it will default to the mic on the laptop.
I dont know if you have this same sound manager, but if you do, you can force to prompt box to pup up
by following:

⊞>"Realtek HD Audio Manager"
Look for the panel on the right labled "Analog"
There should be a small folder in the top right corner of that panel.
Click it and enable "Enable auto popup dialogue, when device has been plugged in."

Hope this helps

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.