Solved! I think i damaged my toshiba a205 wont do a system recover

Hollywoodtrash

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
I have a Toshiba A205 and I shut it down manually (I know.. it's bad) and when it restarted it ALWAYS goes straight to repair windows and it's never successful. So I tried to do a System Restore and I just get an error message and nothing happens.. what do I do now? I'm really worried that it'll cost more to have it repaired than to get a new laptop. Saw somewhere that manually shutting down will damage the HDD, can someone tell me what that is?

Solution
Yes, a manual shutdown does have the potential to damage a hard drive. This is the case because suddenly cutting power to it can fuss up a mechanical hard drive that is in the midst of a read/write, i.e. picture cutting power to a record player. Unless you have anything vital on it, your best bet is to attempt to do a system recovery by accessing the recovery partition. This will set the computer back to factory conditions. If that doesn't work, chances are that the hard drive is indeed probably damaged.
Yes, a manual shutdown does have the potential to damage a hard drive. This is the case because suddenly cutting power to it can fuss up a mechanical hard drive that is in the midst of a read/write, i.e. picture cutting power to a record player. Unless you have anything vital on it, your best bet is to attempt to do a system recovery by accessing the recovery partition. This will set the computer back to factory conditions. If that doesn't work, chances are that the hard drive is indeed probably damaged.

Solution

evilavatar

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
yeah if you ahve the disks you can try making an image of the drive to restore from as well, (acronis (spelling?) is a great product for this). Otherwise format and try reloading the data.

I'd recommend agains re-using the same disk if you have anything on there you may want to try to recover. A new drive is not too much and will ensure any recoverable files from the old drive can be gotten to, such as pictures, email files, etc...

evilavatar

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
too true, plus with so many places not sending disks with the computers anymore it can a be a beast to deal with a problem. That is part of why i ahve backup images of the hard drive of my computer(s) laying around somewhere. I have had a beastly HP i have abused for almost 6 years and it is still plugging along, but my poor laptops have not faired near as well :? I highly suggest Acronis ( http://www.acronis.com/) or something like it to make an image of the hard drive when you first get the comupter just in case. you can always recover the image to a new drive later. If you have more than one drive slot you could also plug in a 2nd drive and copy or use an external drive.