I think I got screwed with the purchase of my iPhone back in March

circumventor

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
Since the iPhone 5 was just announced I was looking into what it would take to upgrade my current iPhone 4 to an iPhone 5. Back in March I went into the AT&T store by my house with an old iPhone 3gs that I was planning on using month to month until the new one came out. When I got there the guy told me that it was Apple's policy that all iPhones have to be in a 2 year contract, and that I could use my 3gs but I would have to enter a contract anyway. After some clarification I decided to get an iPhone 4 instead of being stuck with a much older phone for 2 years. Now looking on Apple's website I see that they sell unlocked versions of the 4 and 4s, but what would be the point of that?

Basically I think that guy at the AT&T store lied to me about the whole contract deal. I had an existing phone that worked fine, but he said I would have to enter a contract anyway. The iPhone 5 doesn't really appeal to me, but I am just curious about how the iPhone contract system works.

Anyone have any information about this?

Dyrii

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
Every time you upgrade phones you pay for a 2 year contract. It can either be a renewal of your existing contract or a brand new contract. Of course you can buy the phone without a 2 year contract, but it's much more expensive. The unlocked iPhone 4 and 4s has nothing to do with your contract. Unlocked just means that you can use the phone for any carrier (i.e. using it for t-mobile).

TRENDING THREADS