I want Just Sound Through Headphones,we both work different Hours,So if I use RCA to 3.5 or the USB Port will TV Speaker Mute?

ganash1

Prominent
Jun 14, 2017
Have a 42” TV in Our Bedroom and it has RCA and USB Ports. I am trying to find out if TV Speaker will Mute if I Plug in USB or use Red and White RCA to 3.5 Conversion? I am trying to find out if both or only one will mute TV Speaker because I don’t want to buy Wrong Type of Jack on Headphones any Idea’s or Help will be Greatly Appreciated!

Solution
If your TV actually has RCA audio outputs (not that common) you would still need a headphone amp since line level audio is not powerful enough to use headphones with.
I would suggest you connect a bluetooth transmitter to the TV. You can turn the TV volume down when you want to use the headphones. No annoying wire and the headphones will have their own volume control.
I would be surprised if USB headphones work at all on a TV.
As for RCA outputs - ordinary headphones with 3.5mm-to-RCA adapter would work, but they will not mute the TV sound. However, usually RCA audio output does not depend on TV speakers' volume, so if you mute it, your headphones still would be fine.

The only drawback with such a setup would be that headphones' volume cannot be adjusted.

If your TV actually has RCA audio outputs (not that common) you would still need a headphone amp since line level audio is not powerful enough to use headphones with.
I would suggest you connect a bluetooth transmitter to the TV. You can turn the TV volume down when you want to use the headphones. No annoying wire and the headphones will have their own volume control.

Solution