I want to hook up my panasonic plasma smart hdtv and my home theater to a combo dvd/vcr player. And will it record ? I do not

seadogtom51

Estimable
Jan 7, 2016
I do not have cable. I have antenna. I want to know how to hook up my panasonic smart tv to my home theater system and how to hook up my combo dvr/vcr player to all of it. Will my dvr player record from the tv?

Solution
You cannot record from the TV so if the DVD/VCR has it's own ATSC digital tuner you would split the antenna lead and connect one lead to the DVD/VCR and the other to the TV. If you don't have a built in tuner you can buy one to connect to the DVD/VCR. Either way you can record one channel and watch another.
How the HTS would connect to the TV depends on the the outputs of the TV and inputs of the HTS. Options would be
1. HDMI ARC if both the TV and HTS have it and you turn it on.
2. TV digital audio out (usually optical) to the HTS optical input
3. TV analog out to HTS aux input.
The DVR/VCR connects to the TV directly for playback. Some require separate connections for the DVD and VCR,
You cannot record from the TV so if the DVD/VCR has it's own ATSC digital tuner you would split the antenna lead and connect one lead to the DVD/VCR and the other to the TV. If you don't have a built in tuner you can buy one to connect to the DVD/VCR. Either way you can record one channel and watch another.
How the HTS would connect to the TV depends on the the outputs of the TV and inputs of the HTS. Options would be
1. HDMI ARC if both the TV and HTS have it and you turn it on.
2. TV digital audio out (usually optical) to the HTS optical input
3. TV analog out to HTS aux input.
The DVR/VCR connects to the TV directly for playback. Some require separate connections for the DVD and VCR,

Solution