I want to use an HTC Vive with my machine, but I'm not sure if I can or if I should upgrade first

Casey F

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
Hello all, my build is a 2013 machine I put together on a budget.

WD Blue 1TB HDD
Corsair CX 430 Watt PSU (A bit weak I know)
MSI GTX 960 4GB (Upgraded from a EVGA GTX 650)
Corsair Vengeance Blue 16gb Ram (Upgraded from 8gb)
MSI Motherboard
AMD 6300 six core CPU Overdrive to 4.1Ghz

I know this build is a tiny bit janky in a sense, the PSU is a bit small (I think?). I would like to get an HTC Vive, but my MSI 960 Graphics card is not ideal for the task, although most people say that it will work anyways, but not incredibly well. I would like to sell the 960 and buy a 970 or something better, would that mean I should also buy a better PSU?

Also I would like to think about switching to an Intel processor, what changes would I need to make in order to do that? I apologize for some questions that might seem silly, but I'm not terribly experienced (this is my first and only build I've done)

Can anybody give some insight on if I should just not worry about it and get the Vive anyways? Thanks!

Solution
thing is, you could always just get the vive and deal with any short comings, see how well your system handle, endure, and then upgrade later when you are ready, that is a possibility

but you should also know your systems doesnt even meet the minimum requirement specs set by Vive, so you wouldnt get an "optimal" experience, just so you are aware

Gnuffi

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
thing is, you could always just get the vive and deal with any short comings, see how well your system handle, endure, and then upgrade later when you are ready, that is a possibility

but you should also know your systems doesnt even meet the minimum requirement specs set by Vive, so you wouldnt get an "optimal" experience, just so you are aware

Solution