Solved! i3 7020u vs Pentium Gold 5405u

Apr 16, 2020
Hi All

Hope you are well.

I was hoping you could provide some advice as I am looking to buy a entry level laptop which I will be using for my business.

The likely use case for the laptop will be running a CRM software such as Salesforce, Zoho or Hubspot, running Office 365 programs such as Word, Excel, Powerpoint & Outlook and likely using some kind of design software such as Adobe XD.

The laptops I am looking at are;

DELL Inspiron 14 3481 14" Laptop - Intel® Core™ i3, 128 GB SSD - £379

HP Slim 15.6in Pentium Gold 5405U 4GB 128GB SSD - £329

HP 15.6 Inch Slim i3 7020u 4GB 128GB SSD - £379

I guess my question is - is it worth spending the extra £50 for the i3 7020u processor over the cheaper Pentium Gold 5405u?

Last edited:
Solution
Both CPUs are the same speed range, so it does not matter much. You will find a 128 gb drive to be very cramped though with installing multiple programs on and saving files, and 4GB of RAM is not very good with modern software. Getting a $500 laptop is a better idea, especially for a business, you can double the RAM, SSD size and probably will have a faster CPU. Getting the bare minimum in a laptop is not a good idea.
Both CPUs are the same speed range, so it does not matter much. You will find a 128 gb drive to be very cramped though with installing multiple programs on and saving files, and 4GB of RAM is not very good with modern software. Getting a $500 laptop is a better idea, especially for a business, you can double the RAM, SSD size and probably will have a faster CPU. Getting the bare minimum in a laptop is not a good idea.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS