i5-3337U + 32GB SSD vs i7-3537U + No SSD.

BrianLINY

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
Getting a Lenovo laptop. can only afford one pairing. Which should I go with? Pros/Cons? Need to order it tonight! Please advise :).

Dupontrocks11

Honorable
May 7, 2012

Well it really depends on what you are doing with it... If you plan to game with it, the i7 won't offer anymore performance than the i5. If you are editing, the i7 would be a better choice.

As for the SSD, it allows your OS to boot up more quickly, although Lenovo doesn't load Windows on the SSD. So in order to get the speed boost, you would have to format both drives and install it onto the SSD.

Personally, I would go for the i7, because you can always throw an SSD in there later.

imomun

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
If you know hardware and confident doing little upgrade later, You can go for the one without ssd and later you can buy a ssd (something like a 128GB as price realy cheap nowdays) and transfer all from your HDD to the new SSD.

If you don't like those hasstle and just like to get on with it and after a year or to get another laptop sort of user than get the i5-3337U + 32GB SSD

My personal vote : i7-3537U + No SSD

Edit: the difference between those two

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-3537U-vs-Intel-Core-i5-3337U

atomicWAR

Distinguished
Herald
Sep 4, 2007

if you are comfortable installing it later i agree imomun...if not i think you should get the i5 w/ an ssd. ssd loads the OS and programs in a snap. its the most tangible speed difference in a modern pc. a little extra cpu won't compare in load times if its attached to a mech hdd.

Dupontrocks11

Honorable
May 7, 2012

Really it depends on speed. If you want your laptop to be extremely fast and noticeably snappy, get the SSD. But know that even without an SSD, the laptop won't be slow.