i5-4210m/GTX 850M VS i7-4710m/GTX 750M

jonathan gee

Estimable
Jul 9, 2014
Im planning on buying a new laptop but I would like some advice as to which is better...

Both graphics cards are GDDR5 versions, but I can only afford one or the other, ideally I'd have the i7 with the 850M.

I'll be using the laptop to play light-mid gaming, such as LoL/borderlands 2/minecraft.

Which is better?

Solution
I don't know where the above posters got their information from but they are just wrong. Completely and utterly wrong.
the gtx 850M (either DDR3 or DDR5) is equal to or slightly better in some games a gtx 765M. a 765M literally runs circles around the 750M.
the difference between the processors apart from the different amount of cores is minimal.
So few games can even make use of these cores
even less of those games have the cores making a considerable difference in frame rates
no mobile GPU bottlenecks either the I5 or I7.
to bottleneck either the I5 or the I7 you would literally need 2 880Ms in SLI to even notice it.
get the I5 + the 850M.
I don't know where the above posters got their information from but they are just wrong. Completely and utterly wrong.
the gtx 850M (either DDR3 or DDR5) is equal to or slightly better in some games a gtx 765M. a 765M literally runs circles around the 750M.
the difference between the processors apart from the different amount of cores is minimal.
So few games can even make use of these cores
even less of those games have the cores making a considerable difference in frame rates
no mobile GPU bottlenecks either the I5 or I7.
to bottleneck either the I5 or the I7 you would literally need 2 880Ms in SLI to even notice it.
get the I5 + the 850M.

Solution

Kyle Cold

Estimable
Jul 21, 2014
dasulman, what about doing things other than gaming? most of the time the computer is not even accessing the video card, so wouldn't it be better to have the way better cpu?

Not unless you're opening about 20 programs at once? there are very few activities that actually benefit from a quad core processor - and thats activities like editing. For a casual user there is literally no way you would ever push the processor to its limits.

YOLO tech

Estimable
Sep 16, 2014
Bullshit. GT 750m DDR5 is far away from as good as GTX 850M with DRR5. GTX 850M max borderlands on ultra in 1080p with smooth fps. Aswell as BF 4 HIGH 1080p, or sometimes Ultra with alittle bit tweaking. GT 750M even with DRR5 isn't compareble, and an i5 is good enough to not bottleneck the GTX 850M, the GT 750M will bottleneck the i7 within 1 year. So the GTX and the i5 will "fall off" within the same time, so it won't compete out eachother.