i5 4340M (2.9ghz) v i7 4710MQ (2.5ghz)

jamescurrie

Estimable
Sep 23, 2014
Hi guys

I am putting together a laptop for moderate gaming and I am slightly confused by which processor to get. I'm looking at either an i5 4340M (2.9ghz, dual core) or an i7 4710MQ (2.5ghz, quad core).

I was dead set on the i7 and a lot of responses I've had elsewhere basically said 'get an i7, more cores = faster). Digging around however, it seems like the majority of games only seem to utilise dual cores and as such a faster clock speed would be better? Would it be daft to buy a dual core when there's the option of a quad? Or is speed the main factor here?

I was hoping someone could help me out as I'm lost on this one.

Cheers

Solution
while the cpu is important, the gpu is also important for gaming.
both cpu will perform similar with games, since, like you stated, most games uses only two core and no hyper threading (core i7)

If the core i7 is paired with a bad GPU, the core i5 is a better choice.
Get at least a 750m / 850m for medium graphics 760/ 860 +for high

dextermat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
while the cpu is important, the gpu is also important for gaming.
both cpu will perform similar with games, since, like you stated, most games uses only two core and no hyper threading (core i7)

If the core i7 is paired with a bad GPU, the core i5 is a better choice.
Get at least a 750m / 850m for medium graphics 760/ 860 +for high

Solution

jamescurrie

Estimable
Sep 23, 2014
Appreciate the responses guys.

Games wise it's hard to say. I've had a fairly rubbish computer so looking forward to being able to play games. There's a large amount of old games I'll want, but I'd like the option of new stuff - within reason obviously, I don't expect to be able to play a brand new FPS on max quality for example.

I was looking at a GeForce GTX 850M graphics wise. Being that most games only use two cores... would a faster clock speed be better? Or would getting a dual core be limiting how future proof the machine would be?

jamescurrie

Estimable
Sep 23, 2014
Both processors cost pretty much the same.

That's my worry though - if the quad is lower clock and most games cannot utilize this, then I may as well get a higher clock dual core?