Ice Cream Sandwich Revealed with Refined Multitasking, UI

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
This caught my eye:
unlike previous versions in the Android 2.x family and below, the new Android 4.0 build will supposedly work on any mobile device.

Can I get my brother's Virgin Mobile LG Optimus V to upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich?

That would be FANTASTIC!

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]jacekring[/nom]I think they are more referring to new devices made after IC is released. Where mobile developers will be required to make drivers for IC and updates will maintain compatibility with those drivers. So manufacturers will not need to recreate/edit phone/tablet drivers to make them work with new versions of android released later.I doubt if you have a phone running a 2.x version of android will upgrade easily to 4.x. But here's hoping the modding community takes IC and makes it run on my HTC Incredible.[/citation]
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1309601&page=2 seems it's getting started already for the Incredible :)

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Being able to monitor network data usage is probably one of the best feature upgrade ever! Now, all we need is an integrated firewall that works like ZoneAlarm or Comodo or PC Tools. :)

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Android tablets are done once W8 tablets start coming out next year.[/citation]

Even if so, Android is great for a phone, I don't want W8 there.

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Work on any device huh?.....that would be a treat. Android is only gonna get better. Can't wait till Jellybean or whatever they gonna call their next version.

Taylor422

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
[citation][nom]WhysoBluepandabear[/nom]What about Super Duper Operating System 5000? Sounds big and important right? I mean 5000, must be LOADS better than that silly iOS 5 -- I mean c'mon, they're only on 5, while Super Duper Operating System is on 5000! 5000 > 5.[/citation]

Actually, "Android 4.0" works fine. Jackass.

G

Android 4.0 is slated for a November release, though the SDK is available now to developers. Outside of the Galaxy Nexus, the deployment of Ice Cream Sandwich hasn't been made clear yet. The new Motorola RAZR is expected to see the update "sometime in 2012," and Google is on the record stating that Ice Cream Sandwich should "theoretically should work for any 2.3 device."

Credit given to dslreports.com

fb39ca4

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
[citation][nom]theoldgrumpybear[/nom]Make a dual boot iPhone 4S and see what happens. :)I know I now will be flamed by everyone, having insulted both Apple and Android fanboys. :p[/citation]
Me support.

tramit

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
"That having been said, it unfortunately remains the case that Android isn’t as swift and responsive as iOS or Windows Phone (or even MeeGo Harmattan on the N9). Or at least it wasn’t on the demo phone we got a look at. The subtle, pervasive lag that has characterized the Android UI since it inception is still there, which is not a heartening thing to hear when you’re talking about a super-powered dual-core device like the Galaxy Nexus."

This caught my eye from one of the reviewers at the event. Even with all that hardware, they still have not solved that problem, I thought integrating more hardware acceleration would have solved that for sure. The waiting game continues.

Cash091

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
citation][nom]Taylor422[/nom]Fair point, but can we come up with something that sounds less stupid? I mean really, "Ice Cream Sandwich"?[/citation]
DUDE!!!! Ice cream sandwiches are AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.