Ideal way to switch off TV

curoius

Estimable
Jul 24, 2014
Hi,
A newbie question. We recently purchased a Panasonic LED TV. What I want to know is, is it okay to directly switch off the TV from the AC mains or should I switch off using the the remote first then the AC mains ?

Solution
use the remote to put the tv in it low power state. if you shut it off from the wall or breaker you may damage somthing on the main board. you can use a watt saver to turn the tv off off after a set time.
Switch off the TV using the power on/off button on the TV itself. On many modern LED/LCD TVs these days which have a narrow bezel, the power button is often at the back (like my Sony), or under the bottom edge (check your TV manual but all TV's have an on/off button somewhere on the cabinet).

After switching it off with the button, you may then optionally switch of the supply socket or unplug it.

Because my Sony has the on/off button at the back (and it's a very small button) I never turn it off fully - - I just use the standby on/off button on the remote - much easier. I know being in standby mode it's still using electricity but that doesn't bother me - it's only a very small amount (5 watts according the book).

I only turn it off completely if we go away for a few days, but that's very rare now my kids have flown the nest.