IdeaPad Z400 not turning on

vlmem10

Estimable
Feb 16, 2015
Dear All,

My Lenovo IdeaPad Z400 is not at all turn up.
Last activity is, I used and shut it down just before bed, left charging the battery whole night. In the morning a nightmare started :p (do you believe a nightmare in the morning?).

When I plugged in the power, the battery led is on for a minute, then it went off again, apart from this no functionality can be seen.

It's out of warranty. I do not want the local tech guys to play around, I will try to follow your guides. I had very small experience in working around laptop hardware.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Van

Solution
It could be the memory. Especially if it is only using a 2. That isn't much, especially if you are running say Windows 10. It is such a hog.
I would also consider looking at other components. The battery, the charger cord, and possibly the motherboard. But first you need to see if you can upgrade that ram. The 4 you tried to use, instead of the 2, is it the same in all other ways, other that it being a 4. That will make a large difference.
Try the following and see if it will turn on.

1. First make sure the device has been charged.
2. Unplug your charger cord.
3. Remove the battery.
4. Press and hold the "Power" button for 30 seconds and see if the device will turn on.
5. If it does, great, now plug back in the power/charger cord. (If it didn't turn on without the cord in, it should turn on once you it is in. Yes sometimes they will turn on, or try to turn on, even with nothing attached/plugged in.)
6. Now put the battery back in.

vlmem10

Estimable
Feb 16, 2015

Thank you Web, I did nothing but turned it on by itself, but after tow mins it turn it off again.

I suspect the RAM, I had a spare of 2GB DDR3, I replaced the 4GB with 2GB, and I can start up the laptop with windows being crush and had to restore it from default. I successfully restore the original windows. I used for 5mins and I check the performance, 94% of RAM was consumed.

I restart the windows but laptop shutdown by itself on the half way of windows loading, I can see windows logo. I think this is due to insufficient memory. Or still another hardware issue, what do you think?

Thanks
Van

It could be the memory. Especially if it is only using a 2. That isn't much, especially if you are running say Windows 10. It is such a hog.
I would also consider looking at other components. The battery, the charger cord, and possibly the motherboard. But first you need to see if you can upgrade that ram. The 4 you tried to use, instead of the 2, is it the same in all other ways, other that it being a 4. That will make a large difference.

Solution

vlmem10

Estimable
Feb 16, 2015

Once I have time, I will buy and replace memory with 4GB, and I will post the result again.

vlmem10

Estimable
Feb 16, 2015
Hello Web,

I replaced the memory with 4GB and it turned on normally. But after 56mins the laptop died. I think it is due to over-heat, I need to find out how to cool down the GPU and CPU. After this I hope problem resolved.

Another irritating issue is, each time i turn on I cannot get to windows directly, BIOS option appeared, 'Start Normal, Bios Setting, System Recovery'.

Thank you again.
Van

vlmem10

Estimable
Feb 16, 2015

Hey Web,

Thank you for your reply. I check BIOS settings to stop this behavior, still could not figure out. Not a big issue.

Try these...

Option 1...

You don't have to go all the way into the Settings screens. There is actually a faster way to access the boot options menu. Just locate the "Shut down/Restart" menu and hold down the "SHIFT key" while clicking on "Restart". Quick and easy.

NOTE: This will also work if you haven't yet logged into Windows. All you have to be is on the login screen and have access to the "Restart" menu.

Once you have hit those keys, instead of completely rebooting, you will get teh blue boot options menu. To access the options for refreshing or resetting your computer or to use the advance tools, click on "Troubleshoot".

You can choose from the following... "Refresh", "Reset", or access "Advanced Options".

A list will be displayed that will show you the options available when you next restart Windows. Click to restart Windows and you will be able to access these options.

When the computer restarts you will see the "Startup Settings" menu. Choose any option listed by using the "number keys" or the functions keys "F1"-"F9". There are also additional options that are accessible by pressing "F10".

If you choose not to use any of these options, you can just boot normally by pressing "Enter".

The "Launch Recovery Environment" is in the extra options accessible by pressing "F10". To return to the list of options screen just press "F10" again.

Option 2...

To go through "PC Settings" press the "Windows key + I" (capital “i”) and then click on "Change PC Settings". For Windows 10, this would be found in the "Start Menu" and then click the "Settings" button.

For Windows 8:

Click the "General" option on the left side of the screen and then click "Restart Now" which is found under "Advanced Setup". This starts the normal restart process, which gets automatically interrupted as Windows is about to shut down.

For Windows 10:

Go to "Settings" and then go to "Update and Security". In here choose "Recovery" on the left side menu. From here you can choose the "Advanced Startup" option.

Obviously holding down "Shift" and pressing "Restart" is quite a bit simpler.

Option 3...

This method involves using "Command Prompt". To open the "Command Prompt" window you will need to press the Windows Key + D (large d) to access the desktop. If you are not already on it that is.

Move your mouse to the far lower left corner of the Desktop, until you see the "Start" screen button. Now right-click on that to access the Win+X menu and then choose "Command Prompt" from the menu.

NOTE: You can also press Win + X to access this menu.

Now type the following in the command prompt window and "press Enter".

shutdown.exe /r /o

IMPORTANT NOTE: The /o switch will only work if used with the /r switch.

You will then see a message warning you that you are about to be signed off. From here the system will reboot automatically.

NOTE: Windows 8 now includes the “automatic restart after failure” feature. This detects whether the OS loaded successfully, and If not, the system will automatically reboot into the boot options menu, allowing you to access the troubleshooting options.

StevieD009

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017

Do you have any idea how hard it is to get to the battery of one of these things? It's not a simple solution to try this.