Idle Temp Too High

Jan 16, 2019
UdIb1Bd.png

This is a benchmark of my laptop sitting at idle in a room temperature room. I don't have many processes going on and there are no games running. The only things active are steam, GPUZ and this chrome browser.

The temps on my GPU are so high that even sitting at idle the thing has become performance locked due to heat restrictions. What the [] is that? When I start to use the gpu heavily through a game, the temps can reach 100c.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

Information:

My laptop is a Asus ROG GL752VW gaming laptop. It's 5 or more years old, I can't even remember now. I've had to take this laptop in for previous issues. I've never taken the laptop apart and I've never seen the inside of it. I think the fan might be broken or the thermal paste(?) is gone. The laptop has become useless to play ANYTHING on. I used to be able to run arma at a solid 40 fps, but now this thing hardly even runs basic games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 16, 2019

Well, I can tell you that it sounds like the fan is broken. Should I take the laptop apart and try to fix it?

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from thescarletking : "[Help] ASUS ROG GL752VW Cooling Issues!"

mortemas

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015
You can find a replacement fan online at Amazon or other sites. This shows how to disassemble your laptop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O9SBP4WDVg

Download hwinfo and watch this video to learn how to control and test your fan. If the program shows 0 rpm then the fan is most likely broken: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0ACb8qUqb0

Update: in the first video above the person removes the CMOS battery, but you don't have to do that or you will lose your BIOS settings.

Jan 16, 2019

Thank you!

Jan 16, 2019

The WHInfo application doesn't support sensors for my fan. vov

Also: The fan is indeed still running, and I can feel air coming out of it, but it sounds like one of the bearings might not be working properly, the fan is not quiet like it should be(I've heard how it is supposed to sound) its loud and clanky. I called tech support in my area and they said it would be $200 to repair it....

Update: I looked for spare parts and found this

https://en.accessoires-asus.com/gl752vw-65435-59071.htm

That is the model of laptop that I have.

mortemas

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015
We'll, it's a tough call. Have you repasted before? I would say it depends on how complicated it is to remove the cooler. You might want to leave well enough alone and just deal with the fan first. The noisy fan should be replaced anyway. Your call if you want too change the paste, too, but you could see if the new fan gets you back to normal temps first to avoid an unnecessary procedure.

Jan 16, 2019

The problem seems pretty bad to me. I find it hard to believe that just replacing the fan will fix my issue. I'm not sure, but I watched that video you gave me and I couldn't see anywhere that the thermal paste could go. It might require more digging, and I might not be prepared for that. I think I'll just get a new fan and hope for the best. Thanks for all your help.