IE9 Not Gaining Marketshare, Trouble Ahead?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Like every release, it'll be a while until it gets adopted at the enterprise level.
I can't even upgrade Firefox until a required plugin gets updated.

ezodagrom

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Tried IE9, didn't like it, ugly and inconvenient UI is ugly and inconvenient. Went back to IE8, while inferior in performance, its UI is more intuitive to me.

G

Lets not base all user experiences on a few people's posts on here. I've had no problems with IE9 and for the record, NO, I'm not a dumba** who's unknwledgable about everything tech and that's the reason I use IE. I didn't use IE8 or IE7 on any kind of regular basis, but I've been quite happy with IE9. Happy enough that the browser has pulled me away from my good, old, trusty Firefox. I've experienced a lot of problems with Firefox 4 and I still find the same old issues to exist in FF. Granted, some of those issues have been improved upon, but not enough to my liking.

One point to make here. IE has always been a browser that people wait for auto updates on. Yes, some of those are people who don't care much about what browser their using, but contrary to popular opinion among some, there are people who are quite aware and prefer this new iteration of IE. I know, because I'm one of them. Anyway, back to the point I was going to make: IE9 is not yet available widely withing windows update. It's a staggered release and I would think all these people around here wanting to call themselves, "techies" should know that. It will pick up steam and gain some market as it becomes more widely available over the next couple of months. We all know that the corporate world is slow to adopt any sofware/hardware and gaining share in that arena is always, on the whole, a snails pace. Obviously, only being available on Win7 and Vista limits the market right now. You'll also see some gains for IE as the migration away from XP continues and Win7/Win8 gain market share. All that being said, IE is not going to dominate the market the way it did in the past and I think MSFT should be smart enough to realize that. Their goal should simply be to remain competitive, with a good market share that is within the same range as Chrome, FF and whoever may become the next big market gainer. Frankly, I feel that Mozilla may be the one people should be worried about. Firefox 4 hasn't really brought any increases in market share and FF has been losing at a rather consistent, albeit, slow rate. I think Mozilla realizes this and that's why we're seeing the vamped release schedule, but the question is: Can they garner a significant share with Google gaining and having the resources they have and With MSFT still holding a considerable share and also with the improvements they made and the resources they wield. I certainly hope that Mozilla can stay competitive, but there is definitely doubt in my mind as to whether or not that will happen.

People get way to worked up about the browser debate. I think the important thing here is that there's now better choices despite anyone's preference. The way I see it, that's good for all of us. We all know that competition makes the market better and whichever I favorite is, better. We don't need enough IE controlling the market to the exclusion of all others. We saw how that turns out for all of us. It doesn't matter if that IE is named Chrome, Firefox. Opera, Safari or any other name out there. When there's no reason for a browser maker to improve, they won't. Competition gives them that reason. And, while people love to hate Microsoft for becoming stagnant and not improving or innovating, it would be no different for anyone else who held that kind of power over the market. They all have other projects to work on and they would all rather develop along a path to make those projects better, rather than make a browser better when they control the market almost completely. So, don't be haters of the ones you don't choose to use and it's not necessary to always be insulting those who do choose to use it, because, in the end, that competition keeps your choice better than it would without those users who choose differently. I think there's more than 1 good choice right now and that choice will differ for people for different reasons, but I'd sure hate to think that my choice became narrowed to a single product.

Have fun all and happy browsing (Whatever browser or OS you may choose to do that browsing on.)

G

Only reason Chrome is gaining users and IE or FF aren't is because its the cool new thing to use. The uneducated masses far outnumber the educated and tech-savvy, and casual PC users see IE as something their dinosaur grandfather uses, where Chrome to them is fresh and hip, just like Apple products and Twitter.

This is actually VERY akin to the "How Smartphone Users See Themselves" pic that was floating around a while ago, and I believe was also posted on Toms.

This has nothing to do with whose browser is better, if a new browser came out that was as good as IE9/FF4/C11 (and presumably had a just as good Marketing team) I bet you would see lots of people jumping ship to that instead, regardless of how it matched up to its competition.

G

I tried using IE9, but the lack of an easily found easily installed easily setup Ad Block Pro alternative killed it for me and I am back to using Chrome.

I find Chrome has a lot of little things that I missed too. Things like the "paste and go" option. The general layout of it. How easy finding extensions is. How the incognito window works. If they added Ad Block to IE9, and fixed the whole add on situation for it, I could just as well use it as Chrome, but I think I'd still prefer Chrome for those little things.

Also this is FREE software, so who cares who uses what. How do they make money off a browser, I dont see any ads specifically because I use chrome or FF or IE, I dont pay any money for it?

vk_87

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
[citation][nom]internetlad[/nom]This, combined with elitist computer hipsters using "alternate browsers" because IE sucks, crapping all over it before they've even used it.The only issue i've had with IE9 have been on computers that aren't fresh installs, and all two of them can be fixed by unticking GPU rendering.I am, however, posting this in firefox because toms can't get their act straight and for some reason IE can't post on toms, This is a Toms issue, not an IE issue.[/citation]

Its an IE issue, because even @ MS, i had to use FF to access their Intranet. IE simply did not load the page.

IE9 still sucks, even though it is a bit better than IE8. But who knows what the future holds...

TheWhiteRose000

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
You'd have more people using IE9 if you had it on XP.
Hur de derp derp derp.

If your only offering it for Vista and 7.
And a large margin of the OS is still Windows XP.
Which is still a widely preferred OS, without offering IE9 for them, of course your going to lose market share.

Why should people want to upgrade to 7 or downgrade to Vista, just for a IE9, that's why we got Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safrai, ect.

You got to give people more incentive to upgrade.
As the old adage goes, got to spend money to make money.

Why not offer a deal, If your going to XP to 7, You can buy the OS for %50 off.
Then when they get it they do all the update's and bam IE9 get's installed and you get more market share out of that.

Hint hint.

G

I'd really like to use IE9, but my Windows 7 can't install it. I am also unable to install SP1. I've tried everything, except reinstalling the system, with no success. Windows update always returns some error. And I have no viruses, trojans or whatever.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
sadly when IE ruled the roost, MS just stopped improving it. Only when FF started to gain significant market share and Google came into the picture did MS start to act. If MS didn't care before, why should we care now?

G

A reason that Chrome is gaining is because Chrome appears to replace the previous version using an automatic update, Chrome 10 will drop off as Chrome 11 is installed automatically. And in six weeks we will be replacing 11 with 12 but will much have changed?

My FF 3 has not mentioned that 4 is available.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Doesn't really help marketshare if Firefox/Chrome fanboys are not even considering to give it a shot before slamming it in almost every way possible. It just rubs off to their family and friends too, since those two fanboys tend to be extremely vocal (and irritating)...

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nomif you think chrome has a stripped down UI then you should see IE9[/citation]

Yeah its great. No useless garbage i use IE9 and have no issues with speed or crashing it works better then any other browser i have used and loads all the pages correctly which are all things i couldn't say for any other browser including opera which is my second browser i use now.

[citation][nom]TheWhiteRose000[/nom]You'd have more people using IE9 if you had it on XP.Hur de derp derp derp.If your only offering it for Vista and 7.And a large margin of the OS is still Windows XP.Which is still a widely preferred OS, without offering IE9 for them, of course your going to lose market share.Why should people want to upgrade to 7 or downgrade to Vista, just for a IE9, that's why we got Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safrai, ect.You got to give people more incentive to upgrade.As the old adage goes, got to spend money to make money.Why not offer a deal, If your going to XP to 7, You can buy the OS for %50 off.Then when they get it they do all the update's and bam IE9 get's installed and you get more market share out of that.Hint hint.[/citation]

Its also a waste of time to make a browser for an os that should have been killed off long ago. as far as downgrading to vista your downgraded to XP. Considering the year use of an OS even if you got the highest level and retail copy your not spending much on the OS since it lasts for a minimum of 5 years as a new OS.

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
I think it's just because internet explorer has been crappy for far too long. IE9 is certainly better than their previous versions, but people have moved on. Like a credit card, people usually stick wit the same company. For example, I have gotten used to google chrome. I love it. Unless there is a really REALLY compelling reason, I'm not switching. I imagine that many other users feel the same way...

Tamz_msc

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]ben BOys[/nom] It does nothing new and whatever it can do chrome could do 2 years ago. [/citation]
Too bad Chrome can't get the basic things right like deleting history automatically on exit.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
IE9 is a nice browser, but the release was too quiet. Such a silent release is only noticed by people who are at least moderately interested in their computer and among that group IE has a... reputation. Few people are willing to give it a second chance, and a lot of people are put off by the lack of effective ad blocking, mouse gestures and other staples (either natively like Opera or via ad ons like Chrome and FF) of modern browsers.

IE9 is fast, stable and reasonably pretty. However, that goes for all modern browsers. And guess what? All modern browser also offer other benefits.

dread_cthulhu

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Sigh... Why do people still want things to support XP? Please, please please upgrade people! Toss out the old DDR1 single-core machine, and get with 2011! Anyway... IE needs to be relegated to irrelevancy... I've never had any luck with it. Chrome or Firefox... even Opera's preferable.

Status
Not open for further replies.