IE9 Not Gaining Marketshare, Trouble Ahead?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]jednx01[/nom]I think it's just because internet explorer has been crappy for far too long. IE9 is certainly better than their previous versions, but people have moved on. Like a credit card, people usually stick wit the same company. For example, I have gotten used to google chrome. I love it. Unless there is a really REALLY compelling reason, I'm not switching. I imagine that many other users feel the same way...[/citation]

Mozilla and Google don't seem to have any problems making products for such an out of date OS. Of course neither one of them is in the business of selling OS's either (just yet). Hmm, you think that is the real reason IE9 doesn't work with XP (just like DX10 doesn't worked in XP)?

drchemist

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
Main reason is because most still use XP. No IE 9 for XP users, PERIOD. That's why I have to use Chrome 11 and Firefox 4.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
i dont think its fair to say people should not use IE
IE works fine its just ie9 is rubish and it is by far the worst browser for compatability i have ever ussed.

ive used ff3,4,chrome,safari and they are all better i would rather go and download and use mosiac than ie9

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]TommySch[/nom]Plz for the love of god. Do not include XP support. Its long past its useful life in the consumer market. You want support for Win2K while you are at it?[/citation]

One day you will hear a loud popping sound, it will be your head coming out of your arse. XP is still widely used in corporate settings, and will be for a LONG time because it takes a lot of money and effort to change everything over to the newest shiny... all for very little benefit to boot! Why spend the money if you don't have to?

There is a huge difference between one user upgrading his PC and a corporate/government entity upgrading THOUSANDS or tens of thousands (plus all ancillary software) in a functioning environment.

dillyflump

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
IE9 crashes on most sites I visit and the java engine seems slower than FF4. I've now uninstalled it and turned off IE from Win7. It should be called Internet Exploder imho just for crashes alone.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]ezodagrom[/nom]Tried IE9, didn't like it, ugly and inconvenient UI is ugly and inconvenient. Went back to IE8, while inferior in performance, its UI is more intuitive to me.[/citation]You can set up IE9 to be VERY similar to IE8. It's extremely easy to do. The only major difference that will remain is the warnings will be at the bottom. That's just about the only thing you'd have to get used to.

G

I'm using IE9 now at work, but I'm mostly using Opera at home because I like its speed and user interfaces. I still don't like Chrome because it has the least-friendly UI (the lack of a previous history dropdown on the URL is especially irksome), and it still has occasional rendering glitches that Firefox and IE don't have. Opera is mostly reliable, though there are some overscripted commercial sites (such as credit card and shopping carts) that don't work properly, but it is about 3 sites out the many dozens I use. Both Firefox and IE8 got very slow for a while, which is why I switched to Opera. But that is fixed now with the current versions.

Chrome / Safari render pages backwards, inserting backgrounds after they have rendered the text and web controls, which is very ugly. The webkit browsers may win benchmarks for javascript speed, but real world rendering seems slow compared to IE8, IE9, Firefox, and Opera.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]dillyflump[/nom]IE9 crashes on most sites I visit and the java engine seems slower than FF4. I've now uninstalled it and turned off IE from Win7. It should be called Internet Exploder imho just for crashes alone.[/citation]
Most IE9 crashes are caused by out of date or faulty graphics drivers. I suspect that a lot of issues with other new hardware-accelerated browsers are due to drivers as well.

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
bet they are missing lots of vista users. lots of vista machines i work on don't have sp2 (some, sp1) because of rumors of failures, hang-ups, etc....i've seen it, so it's hard to argue.

G

I can't install it on Windows 7 Professional. I receive various errors related to the installer itself, but have no problem with other Windows Updates or regular applications. The fact that it is restricted from XP is an artificial requirement and people like choice more than they do not having it. I can certainly see people using alternative browsers that work on just about any flavor of Windows O.S. because it gives them a choice and that they don't suffer in the performance area.

TheWhiteRose000

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
[citation][nom]EnFoRceR22[/nom]Its also a waste of time to make a browser for an os that should have been killed off long ago. as far as downgrading to vista your downgraded to XP. Considering the year use of an OS even if you got the highest level and retail copy your not spending much on the OS since it lasts for a minimum of 5 years as a new OS.[/citation]

80% of the people in the IT field agree.

XP

mcnaugha

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2005
I think what this is telling us, is that Microsoft has promoted its Windows 7 sales figures but what it didn't want us to think about was that every license sold since Windows 7 shipped went down as a Windows 7 license... but it's likely that very few of those sales actually didn't exercise their downgrade rights. I know in my enterprise organisation, all systems still run Windows XP. So all licenses bought since Summer '09 were labelled Windows 7 but we're not using Windows 7. So ironically, their decision to drop support for Windows XP has glaringly shown off the fact that not a lot of web users are actually using Windows 7. Don't get me wrong, I personally love it and have been running it since it came out in at the beginning of August '09. I just think it's going to take some doing to kill off Windows XP.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
IE9 is never going to catch up to the other browsers in statistics, it is impossible

for example cant firefox chrome and a couple other's be installed on windows,mac and linux

that means that there browser is compatable with nearly all the market not just say 10-20% that is win7

G

My only bitch about IE9 is no spell checker. I know it sounds petty and trivial but I gotta have it.

G

As I pretty much stated before, I could care less what you use, as long as it works for you. However, trying to knock IE9 just for the sake of it, is rather ridiculous. I've now installed it on 6 personal machines and 2 business machines and I've yet to have a problem with installing or running it after install. I know a lot of IE haters like to tell their horror stories, but I find many of those stories not to match my experience. Heck, I find that many anti-(insert product name) types like to spread a lot of nonsense. For some odd reason they seem to feel that if they can convince others to take up their cause, their choices will somehow seem superior or justified. I'm smart enough not to listen to haters, especially when my own experiences are far from equivalent to what they claim. Sure, I've had problems with IE, just as I have with FF, Chrome, Safari, Opera and just about every other piece of software that I've ever used. Those problems have in no way been better or worse necessarily, just different and even sometimes the same. People can pretend as they like, but I don't find it a thrill to hate a product just because. And, like I mentioned before: None of the others would have done any better with their browsers if they had the share that MSFT once enjoyed. It's easy to talk about how you innovate and grow when you're at the bottom, but in the real world, when you're the only game in town (for the most part) you concentrate your efforts elsewhere and on products that you'd like to gain some share in.

I have to address some of these statements that are just pure fallacy too. This one about the majority of people who purchase a license for Windows 7 downgrading to XP, Ridiculous! Sure, you'll get some of that in the corporate world, but the majority of the corporate world already holds licenses for XP, so why would they buy a licenses for Windows 7 in masse and than downgrade? They wouldn't. Plain and simple. Many corporations will upgrade to newer OS's after a time as hardware is upgraded and it will be a much slower process than the consumer market. We all know that many business's have software that is very outdated and regardless of whether or not they wanted to move to the new OS, it's a lot of time and effort and money to do so. This isn't something new with the move from Windows-Past to Win7, it has always been that way in the corporate world. It was the same when XP released and it will be the same with the next iteration of Windows. So really, that's not even news. At some point though, the benefits start to outweigh the hassle of sticking with an outdated and no longer supported OS and the corporate world must put the time, effort and cost into upgrading, but the cycle never changes. The only thing that changes as people talking about the corporate world with outdated software. Some day, Windows 7 or Windows 8 or Windows-future will be the one they're trying to hold onto, so lets not kid ourselves and pretend like this is something new or ususual.

Xp is dying, you can choose to believe it or not, but that's the truth, It's outdated, less secure and not nearly as good as Win7. It was a fine OS in it's day, but those days are gone. MSFT will certainly lose some browser share in the interim of XP dying and the new iterations of Windows, but if they develop newer versions of IE that are appealing and can do an equal job or better than their competitors, the long term outlook should be a fine one. IE9 is a good start, but they must continue on that path and improve upon it. They must release more frequently, but not to the degree that Google and FF will. In the corporate world, their's such a thing as developing at way to fast a pace and since MSFT has such a large chunk of that world, they have to balance that with also keeping consumers happy. That's not an easy balance and despite some people liking to believe that Google, Mozilla, Apple, etc are somehow more innovative and quicker to update, they don't currently have that constraint place upon them the way Microsoft does. Microsoft seems to be moving toward a patch that can balance those 2 different worlds, but they're certainly not there yet and may never be. Only time will tell, but the signs that MSFT is trying to become a more consumer friendly company, while still juggling their corporate stake, are at least encouraging ones for consumers. A lot of people out there find that using Microsoft products is a necessity, not neccesarily a choice. So, if they can make that experiece better at home and yet keep the corporate world happy too, that'll benefit their business and consumers.

Most people don't want to see this, but it's the truth either way, Despite the rampant belief by some that MSFT is somehow evil or uncaring, blah, blah, blah..... This also is nothing new. Apple will be no different if they get that kind of foothold, neither will Google or any other company out there. It's easy to say the things people want to hear when your trying to knock the bully off the hill, but when you become the bully? You take on the characteristics of the bully or you find that your time on the hill is short lived. That's the nature of the beast. When you have the power, you'll wield it and try to keep it, but eventually, some little scrawny kid will grow up and decide he's ready to take king of the mountain. So, feel free to turn whichever company you like into the new MSFT, but don't be surprised when down the road you find yourself being anti-new_bully. There a lot less pressure to take risks when the only way you can go is up, but when you can fall, and fall far and hard, well, it's not quite easy to take those same risks. The funny thing is that we all play a part in creating the next bully on the hill and then we complain and root for the next one to knock him off the top. So, bolster up the next bully, but don't whine and cry when he's the one kicking your a**.

G

IE9 seems alright. The only real reason I don't use it is that it isn't available for my platform (Linux/GNU). I do test my websites in it and I have found pretty much that if it works in other standards compliant browsers, it works in IE9 (and IE8 for that matter, but not IE7 where I still need to trigger hasLayout for some things to render correctly). It doesn't implement CSS3 text-shadow which is something I've been using increasingly lately, but you can't really blame a browser for not imeplementing CSS3/HTML5 stuff considering they are not fully defined/finalized yet - and of course missing text-shadow has a limited cosmetic impact.

mickey21

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
IE8 is better than IE9. IE9 complicates certain things even if it supports more modes and hardware acceleration. Just downloading a file for instance (without customization) is more annoying, just ask me where I want to save it and get out of the way! Clicking on some bottom loading bar with click throughs to determine the path is just more annoying. Chrome does this much more intuitively and they should take a page from them.

zak876

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
@Stewed YEP IE sucks.......sucks bad.......it seems every single app built for windows is always better than the ones built by microsoft =P

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS