IE9 To Launch On March 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
I like the enhancements to IE9 alone as the Beta was good and the RC feels better. Some bugs for THG are fixed (not being able to comment right) and it feels a bit faster.

As for FF, I find it kind of low when a company trash talks another company. I understand from FF perspective, being a smaller company but thats just low. That and I think they feel a tad threatened that MS has been stepping up its game recently with great programs like Windows 7, WMP 12, MSE and IE9. All of them are superior to their predecessors in every way and some are better than most other available free and pay for software (MSE is a great AV program).

FF4 is not bad either but I don't feel its a major improvement over FF 3.6. FF is already a great browser and improving it makes it hard when its already so good.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Not going anywhere without XP support. I can't stand XP personally but at my company half of the machines are still XP and the upgrade to 7 is slow. I like the improvements made in IE9 as compared to IE8 but it isn't enough to make me switch from Chrome. Maybe if IE9 was released 18 months ago.

G

It the clear the IE9 is good enough to put IE back in the game. The words from Mozilla’s Paul Rouget confirms that he sees IE9 as a real competitor.

Only time will tell if IE9 is good enough to take many users from other browsers.

doive1231

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
Agreed. IE9 is ugly. The recent pages tab has gone. In the initial setup the web address and bookmarks are next to each other making for less space. Dull colours. No appreciable speed increase. RC new tabs became very slow to open. Had to press 2 or 3 times. IE8 much nicer. Typical people making changing just for something new.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
One more thing I forgot to add is that I have used the major browsers that have been out lately for up to 5 or 6 years now...They have been IE5 to IE8 & most of those mozilla firefox versions also plus opera...I have noticed that if you have a fairly clean computer that all will perform quite good...I could remember the days when mozilla firefox was even better,before they had gone up to 18% of the total browser share of the internet travelled world...When they reached that 18%,I noticed that there was a lot more cookies made for firefox & a lot more effort to make those spyware software to easily attack firefox...Now firefox ain't so good no more...I even had 3 browsers on one pc at one time & they all worked just fine with me having a window opened from each...Although I have had two browsers most of the time on a single pc,but now I have only one on this pc & that is IE8...

jerrspud

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
I like how the RC has the compatibly tools next to the address bar now, but I miss the option in the BETA that allowed you to swap the refresh and stop buttons

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
I discovered a major flaw using IE9 at home, it doesn't update/refresh various online forums, lol.

I was reading certain threads, and wondering where the ones I've seen daily at work, IE8, have gone to! Press CTRL-F5 to refresh your pages with IE9, or enjoy your latest "cached" news.

disheartening..

tgsa

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
[citation][nom]applegetsmelaid[/nom]What the hell does IE9 have to do with SXSW?[/citation]
SXSW is a music, film, and technology event. There's a lot of technology conferences during the festival. Check out the site sxsw.com and you'll see that it's not only a music party.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
+1 for IE9 looks ugly

and it still takes a lot of time to start. the tabs and the url bar look constipated. there is no ad block. except for bemchmarks, it does not feel any faster.

sorry MS but im still sticking to FF 3.6.13.
just might try google chrome 11 now.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]doive1231[/nom]Agreed. IE9 is ugly. The recent pages tab has gone. In the initial setup the web address and bookmarks are next to each other making for less space. Dull colours. No appreciable speed increase. RC new tabs became very slow to open. Had to press 2 or 3 times. IE8 much nicer. Typical people making changing just for something new.[/citation]

IE9 has a huge speed increase over IE8. IE8 couldn't load most pages half as fast as IE9 can, and you can even run some of the tests to prove it.

As for recent pages tab, they have the most visited and if you drop down the URL bar it includes recently typed URLs, History and faveorites all in one place.

Status
Not open for further replies.