If my laptop is released in 2013 but manufactured in 2015, does that mean my laptop is 3 years old?

Joongi Baek

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2014
I bought a laptop that was released in 2013 but manufactured in 2015 in feburary 2015. If the laptop is released in 2013, but manufactured in 2015, does that mean my laptop is 3 years old?

P.S. It has a Core i7 4700hq and a gt 750m. It is a samsung laptop.

Solution
If you recently purchased the laptop then basically you have bought a new laptop that was manufactured back in 2015 using a CPU and GPU that were released in 2013.

From a warranty perspective, your warranty start more or less from they day you purchased it or on the day you received it. It can vary depending on the brand name. From a performance point of view, especially when it comes to the GPU, you have a 3 year old laptop.

Is this a recently purchased laptop? How much did you pay for it? Are you willing to return it for a refund assuming you still can?

danny2000

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Not always, but in your case, yes. They are going by the processor release date, which was Quarter 2 of 2013 (which is not always by calendar year for a corporation, but by fiscal year; fiscal year is often in October to start; I'm not aware of Intel's fiscal year start/end dates). That being said, it is quite possible, that your laptop might have a newer motherboard than what was issued originally, in say the 2013 model.

danny2000

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
It is kind of like sticking a brand new engine from a 2013 Altima into a 2016 Altima body. Is it brand new or is it three years old? It is three years old in technology, but it IS brand new, as in never used, sort of way of speaking of things.

Depends what the POINT of this question is. Warranty?

It's the date the actual item was MADE. It doesn't matter when the actual model first appeared.

Sometimes you can go buy the purchase date as well, depending on the Warranty.

*If you want to know, most companies can let you put in the serial number at the site to see your exact warranty expiry date.

Joongi Baek

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2014

Well, looking at the specs listed on the internet, the specs and the motherboard is same as my laptop, and it says it is released in 2013. Also, it says my motherboard chipset is from 2013.

okay I will only say this once.

take a computer designed in 2013, change 1 chip on it (any chip) you can sell it as a new model in 2015 get it? no okay
when you buy it in 2015, yes it was design at least a year before.. that is ALL things you buy are done my friend.
think the car you bought in 2015 was designed in 2015, no sir it was designed in 2012-13
cheers

If you recently purchased the laptop then basically you have bought a new laptop that was manufactured back in 2015 using a CPU and GPU that were released in 2013.

From a warranty perspective, your warranty start more or less from they day you purchased it or on the day you received it. It can vary depending on the brand name. From a performance point of view, especially when it comes to the GPU, you have a 3 year old laptop.

Is this a recently purchased laptop? How much did you pay for it? Are you willing to return it for a refund assuming you still can?

Solution

Joongi Baek

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2014

My mom bought my laptop for $1000, and it was bought in feburary 2015. It was the most powerful Samsung laptop at that time. She limited me to Samsung laptops because in South korea other laptop brands except samsung has very bad reputation in support. And if you are willing to tell me to sell my laptop, I can't, because my mom bought it with her money.
And also, my house is very very tiny, I don't have the space for a desktop. She won't allow desktops in our house.

If modern man appeared 100,000 years ago, but you were born in 1990 are you 100,000 years old or 26? Your face structure, liver, lungs, etc.. may be 100,000 years old, but YOU are not.

Same thing in your case. How can a laptop that was manufactured 2015 be 3 years old in 2016? Sure it can have a 3 yr old CPU design or 3 yr old screen or case design, but how old it is starts from when it was made.

Your issue may be that you are not asking the question you are trying to ask.

danny2000

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
He was obviously asking how outdated his laptop was, when he bought it; NO ONE cares about manufacturing date except for warranty purposes, and usually it is actually the purchase date and not even the manufacturing date when the warranty starts. He was concerned about how outdated from the newest his laptop is in technology, not manufacturing date, or warranty date; Read between the lines. He wanted to know if he bought an old laptop, in terms of technology, which usually means CPU. The CPU in his unit was released in 2013 so his laptop is using 3-year old technology.