If you have Comcast can you splice the coaxial and have one modem in your garage and your other modem in your house

Gannon6753

Commendable
Jan 4, 2017
I have Comcast internet and cable can I buy another modem splice into the coaxial with a modem that I buy and continue to the modem supplied by Comcast that way I can spread out my internet connection easier because it is a very long distance.

Solution
No. There is a sort of handshake that must be done. The tech probably did this when you first got it, or maybe you had to do it yourself. Call the number, give them the code on your modem, then they match it up and activate the service.

The other modem is going to be dead in the water until you call Comcast, and they are going to want to charge you.

greens

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
No. There is a sort of handshake that must be done. The tech probably did this when you first got it, or maybe you had to do it yourself. Call the number, give them the code on your modem, then they match it up and activate the service.

The other modem is going to be dead in the water until you call Comcast, and they are going to want to charge you.

Solution
That is a big FAT NO.

BUT, you can use that second coax and run MOCA, this is Ethernet Over Coax. If you don't need TV on this second coax, the ethernet signal should be decent. If TV, don't know until you hook things up. Buy where you can return easy if unhappy.