If you own a Vive, how many computers do you own wise?

Yoplait95

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
So long story short, my girlfriend and I were talking about my recent purchase of the HTC Vive and another gaming computer capable of running the Vive. Then the idea popped up as, is this a normal thing for someone to buy another whole computer for their Vive setup.

My personal reason being that I didn't want my friends, family, and any visitor that would use the Vive to be also using my personal gaming computer at the same time.

If you own a Vive, how many computers do you own that are capable of running it.

Solution
>> If you own a Vive, how many computers do you own that are capable of running it.

2 gaming PC's, but only (1) that can run the Vive.
Pretty much on getting the DK2, I purchased a new PC. The other PC is behind my TV for console gaming + movies.
The VIVE PC is in the "VIVE area", which is just an empty part of the house for roomscale.

It is hard to have a roomscale system and a desk in the same area. That is a LOT of space.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
"Then the idea popped up as, is this a normal thing for someone to buy another whole computer for their Vive setup."
I own an Oculus Rift but...
No Most people would use their only gaming PC for both the vive and regular gaming.

"If you own a Vive, how many computers do you own that are capable of running it."

Yoplait95

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
Oh, I guess I should mention my vive setup is in my living room and my gaming rig with my gf, are in my bedroon.

Lugging my pc back and forth between the loving room and my bedroom was an annoyance.

So you have Oculus Touch setup?

Sakkura

Distinguished
I have an Oculus Rift too, and only have one gaming PC. Don't really mind others using it... might have them use a separate Windows account if I wasn't around (but as of now, there's no way I'd miss people trying VR out).

Having separate gaming systems for separate rooms is a more general question. Some people have a console in the living room and a gaming PC in an office or whatever.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006

yes, and for your situation 2 computers sounds like the best option.
Oculus was neat on it's own... Oculus with the Touch... WOW.
Robo Recall is amazing. First time I've ever felt like I was actually IN a game not just controlling a game.

Tri23

Respectable
May 31, 2016
>> If you own a Vive, how many computers do you own that are capable of running it.

2 gaming PC's, but only (1) that can run the Vive.
Pretty much on getting the DK2, I purchased a new PC. The other PC is behind my TV for console gaming + movies.
The VIVE PC is in the "VIVE area", which is just an empty part of the house for roomscale.

It is hard to have a roomscale system and a desk in the same area. That is a LOT of space.

Solution

aquielisunari

Distinguished

I think that more often than not people might need to upgrade instead of buying an entirely new rig. That's what I am doing in preparation of buying a Vive. It's similar to the latest and greatest game someone has to have. They look to the requirements and then it's time for a new GFX card.

My hardest decision was choosing between the Vive and Virtual Boy.

larsv8

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
When the 1080s came out, I stuck one in my old gaming rig, moved it to the living room and made it the dedicated Vive Computer.

I then built a new gaming computer to keep in my man cave.

aquielisunari

Distinguished

CPU and RAM amount in your Old/New Vive rig?