Sharing a VR headset between two computers

TP-999

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016
Ok, so my brother and I have been looking at all these headlines about VR prices going down, and are considering splitting for one. The problem is that we have two VR-capable computers and would each like to use our own. Is there a way to keep the lighthouses/sensors set up while moving the headset between two computers? He's got a steam link, and wondered if we could connect it to that like a monitor? Or is there another connecty-thing that would work?

Solution

VIVE ANSWER
Yes, the lighthouses are independent of the HMD.
- You plug them in, there is no data connection to the PC or HMD.
- The Vive headset turns on and finds the two points in space.

Practical applications...
- You can move the Vive Headset around PC's and it will always find the lighthouses.
- You can add another VIVE headset and 2 or more vive headsets can play in the same area using the same lighthouses.

>> "He's got a steam link, and wondered if we could connect it to that like a monitor?"
I would need clarification on that, but 99% sure the answer is going to be NO. Steam Link and Vive are apples to oranges.

Tri23

Respectable
May 31, 2016

VIVE ANSWER
Yes, the lighthouses are independent of the HMD.
- You plug them in, there is no data connection to the PC or HMD.
- The Vive headset turns on and finds the two points in space.

Practical applications...
- You can move the Vive Headset around PC's and it will always find the lighthouses.
- You can add another VIVE headset and 2 or more vive headsets can play in the same area using the same lighthouses.

>> "He's got a steam link, and wondered if we could connect it to that like a monitor?"
I would need clarification on that, but 99% sure the answer is going to be NO. Steam Link and Vive are apples to oranges.

Solution

harrystam

Estimable
Nov 8, 2015
From what I've heard: (and I've never personally used steam link) the steam link has bad ping on all games. Using VR with bad ping would give you motion sickness real quick. I am also not 100% sure about using Steam Link for VR streaming. If it has bad ping for Rocket League I can't Imagine any VR game doing much better.

Moving headsets around wouldn't cause an issue. Re-syncing lighthouses is pretty quick if you had to.
If you had 2 VIVE's going I would just make sure your play space is large enough so you don't over lap and block each others sensors or your game-play would get blocky and stutter.