Illegal File-Sharer Handed Record Prison Sentence

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

You give the prison sentence to everyone but the guy the article is about...

zargonog

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
@carl, says right in the first sentence, 5 years.

Not too out of line IMO, they will get out quicker from good behavior and such. too bad they will be someones bitch though.

ChiefScooter

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
@zargonog, I see Carl's confusion. The wording is a little wonky. It almost reads that the lawsuit was 5 years long. If you take just the last portion of the sentence, you will see what I mean, "U.S. file-sharing lawsuit of five years."

abbadon_34

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Wow, this Zal Islam guys really fucked up this article, I had to reread twice to figure it out. But at least it suckle at the Apple teet. But seriously, CAM's are no threat to the movie industry, they never have been, if anything boost sales after someone see the crappy CAM then wants the full version. And go after those exploting these BS CAM on the street corner of Deli or HK or Shanghai, those MAKING MONEY, not those enjoying for there own PERSONAL (read FAIR) USA.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]abbadon_34[/nom]But seriously, CAM's are no threat to the movie industry, they never have been, if anything boost sales after someone see the crappy CAM then wants the full version.[/citation]

If its a good movie then defiantly. However if its a trash movie and their trying to fool people into buying it with a few fancy trailers they don't want the cards on the table....

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
"Friends With Benefits," "Captain America: The First Avenger" and "Avatar," the latter being the highest grossing movie of all time ($2.78 billion)."

Yep piracy sure are hurting these movies.

I'm not saying it's should be legal to take a cam in or anything like that, but the lawsuits pirates get faced with, and these guys jail time. Come on there are drunk drivers that literally kill people that spend less time in jail. I know personally one guy who hit and killed a little girl and only spent one year in jail. Seriously give me a break.

G

they sacrificed huge parts of their lives for us to have the freedom to check out a movie in $hitty quality before going to the theater and leaving money there for good. I ALWAYS watch good movies in a movie theater because it's a great experience but if a movie is trash I don't want to support it. these men are true american heroes. they improved our lives (even if just a bit) while wallstreet continues to destroy them but those crooks don't go to jail - they get paid for it. sad

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]kingnoobe[/nom]"Friends With Benefits," "Captain America: The First Avenger" and "Avatar," the latter being the highest grossing movie of all time ($2.78 billion)."Yep piracy sure are hurting these movies. I'm not saying it's should be legal to take a cam in or anything like that, but the lawsuits pirates get faced with, and these guys jail time. Come on there are drunk drivers that literally kill people that spend less time in jail. I know personally one guy who hit and killed a little girl and only spent one year in jail. Seriously give me a break.[/citation]

the US legal system is FUBAR, consider the fact that in the 80's they sentenced a 12 year old boy , to life in prision for killing his sister .. after he spent about 30+ years in prison they turn around and find out that his sister was killed by some homeless psyhco. the cops , the state nor the federal goveremnt ever gave the guy an offical apology of any kind. yeah ... i have no faith in the US justice system at all. i'm not saying these guys need lighter time .. they did do the crime in this case .. but f--- there is a serious imbalance in what punishment this or that person receives.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]soldier2013[/nom]He should have just waited for those movies to hit KAT. lol[/citation]
These are some of the people who put the movies on KAT to begin with, if they all waited no one would ever see any torrents :p

in_the_loop

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
I don't think prisontime should be given for this type of crime if they didn't make any money from it.
The movie studios of said films made a fortune, BUT the sentence reads:

IMAGiNE obtained revenue via donations and and payments stemming from the downloads of the copyrighted products
I hate it when guys like this makes money from pirated stuff(but I'm not againts filesharing since it doesn't hurt the industry like it is proposed, the bigget downloaders also consume/buy the most).

That is no better than the guy in the streetcorner in some Asian countries selling pirated stuff.
I feel exactly the same about Kim Dotcom, who also made a fortune on pirated stuff.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]the US legal system is FUBAR, consider the fact that in the 80's they sentenced a 12 year old boy , to life in prision for killing his sister .. after he spent about 30+ years in prison they turn around and find out that his sister was killed by some homeless psyhco. the cops , the state nor the federal goveremnt ever gave the guy an offical apology of any kind. yeah ... i have no faith in the US justice system at all. i'm not saying these guys need lighter time .. they did do the crime in this case .. but f--- there is a serious imbalance in what punishment this or that person receives.[/citation]

You failed to mention that most places have laws in place for compensating the wrongfully accused. Depending on how long they were in jail, these settlements can often reach into the millions of dollars. That doesn't make up for their lost time in jail, but being compensated a huge sum of money is certainly better than having someone say their were sorry for screwing up which would be pretty meaningless to me if I were in that situation.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
The Highest grossing movie of all time at 2.78 billion dollars could have made a few million more if the few people who actually watched a Cam and then didn't go to the theater or buy the movie didn't have the option of downloading a cam. I mean come on, this is just totally beyond criminal. These people should be executed let alone just getting 5 years in jail. I can't believe they STOLE that money from the producers of those movies without even feeling any guilt about it.

/sarcasm

While I don't think it should be legal to pirate stuff or make a profit off the pirated stuff, they really go overboard with these cases. Cams are junk. All they do is let the person know if the movie sucks or not. If it's good, they go to the theater. If it's bad, they don't. If they would never have bought the movie to begin with, it makes no difference. The only movies Cam piracy matters to are bad movies just like someone mentioned above.

(Apparently I can't say "this" to agree with someone, I must repeat the comment).

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]If its a good movie then defiantly. However if its a trash movie and their trying to fool people into buying it with a few fancy trailers they don't want the cards on the table....[/citation]

Your grammar is trash. Try a dictionary next time...for each word.

zeratul600

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
Isn't it nice when some child rapers are unleashed on the streets or have shorter sentences than those guys? man i love how they spent money and resources getting those guys while some childs are running from some goddamn psycho

Jan 5, 2013
Kill a Google engineer driving drunk?
Get 4 years in Jail!

http://www.geekwire.com/2012/drunk-driver-killed-google-engineer-sentenced-year-maximum/

File-share a movie that made over a billion dollars?
Go to Jail for FIVE YEARS!

Welcome to American Justice!

(Personally I'd give them 2 years just for sharing "Friends With Benefits". Watching THAT MOVIE is a CRIME!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS