I'm worried 'Masters of the Air' might crash and burn before it sticks the landing — here's why

Feb 23, 2024
I totally disagree! I thought Episode 4 was one of the best. Whilst the air battles are brilliantly done, there's only so much of it that can be shown without it getting repetitive and potentially dull.

What episode 4 showed very well was the experience for the many others involved in the campaign - the mechanics, ground staff, pilots not on mission for whatever reason as well as friends and lovers - they see the planes go off, and then its just waiting anxiously to see who comes back. And not knowing whether someone is dead or managed to bail out and survive. Trying to piece together from fragmented reports what happened.

Not knowing what happened to their comrades was a key part of the experience, even for pilots on the mission (also covered in episode 5 where the sole surviving plane couldn't understand where the others were).

It may not fit a neat narrative, but so what?

Reactions: havebass
Feb 23, 2024
I'd have to disagree as well.

The whole premise of episode 4 was showing the reality that a lot of crews and forts just...disappeared. They took off and never came back. They were replaced and somehow everyone just carried on.

IIRC, Clevens has 2 opportunities not to fly that mission but did it anyway, because that's what they did, and he'd still need to fly his tour regardless. Egan didn't fly, had a night off and a party, but still got shot down later. it's just how it was. a welcome bit of nuance missing from a lot of "ACTION" shows now.