importing a razer blade pro laptop from the usa to the uk

admiralspicywiener

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
Hey guys just wondering if I could import a $2999 dollar pc from àmazon , send it to my relative in the us who is going to come over to uk and ask them to bring it over . And btw I know the blade pro is very expensive but it is alost impossible to find for under £2000 in britan

Solution
I'd leave it in the box if at all possible. But considering the box may be too big to fit in a bag/the overhead compartment, if your relative has to take it out make sure he or she has all the equipment from the box.

ThatVietGuy

Distinguished
I'd leave it in the box if at all possible. But considering the box may be too big to fit in a bag/the overhead compartment, if your relative has to take it out make sure he or she has all the equipment from the box.

Solution

sora

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

Yes you should be able to.

rodney trotter

Estimable
Mar 16, 2014
I wanted to do the same but I changed my mind. The laptop looks awesome and while it is expensive there is nothing else quite like it so the price can be justified. It is also nice to have a notebook that everybody doesn't recognize or own. Please consider these points though because you should know the downsides of what you are thinking about doing so that you can make an informed decision.
1) The power adapter will not work and it is not just a case of changing the plug like most consumer electronics. Most stuff is designed to switch 120v to 240v and different frequencies automatically because it's cheaper for companies to produce a one-for-all solution than to design different adapters. Razer designed this adapter to be as small as possible and that was their main concern. You will need a new power brick and it will cost extra and be twice the size.
2)It will be hard to take advantage of the warranty. This becomes a real concern with the screen because it is so easy to break on a notebook. Most of the time aftermarket screens are available and this makes for a cheap and easy fix but this is certainly not the case for this machine. An even greater concern should be the motherboard and custom graphics hardware which are VERY likely to burn out on a machine like this. Overheating parts would normally be covered by warranty but if you can't get your yank friend to send it back if the worst happens then you will be left with a huge hole in your pocket. If you are willing to take a hit if something goes wrong then you should research the price to replace these 3 key components before purchasing.
I think you should take it out of the box if you are not willing to have your Yank friend lie to British customs for you. They will have to claim that it is a gift to avoid import tax at 20%. They will also have to be believed so maybe ask them to write a birthday card and bring some gift wrap along with them. That may be overkill but we are talking about 600 in taxes here.
I'm not trying to put you off and I wish I could have justified buying this machine. I just don't want you to fall into a trap that you don't know about. Good luck and I hope you enjoy if you decide to buy.

vash_021

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
take it out of the box
ask him to carry it as his own personal laptop so you can avoid the tax in UK

also flatten the box and just put in the luggage so you still have everything