Impossible Ground Loop?? Tried for months.

Jun 12, 2018
Hello, first I want to thank you for reading this and offering any advice possible.

I have been struggling with a ground loop issue for months now since building my PC, and I have read nearly everything and tried 85% of solutions suggested on the internet - nothing seems to work.

I will give all relevant information as neatly as possible, followed by solutions I have tried.

My PC Build

Motherboard: TUF Z270 Mark II
Graphics Card: GTX 1050 Ti
Power Supply: EVGA 550 G3
Cooling: Corsair H60
Memory: 16GB TridentZ RGB (8gb x 2)
Processor: i7 7700k
Internal Soundcard: Audigy Rx
Monitor: Samsung CF591 27" Curved
Speakers: Yamaha HS7's

** Please note that I purchased my internal Audigy Rx soundcard as a "solution" after already having experienced this buzzing for several months via my graphic card's audio card.

How I'm Connected

I have a lot of wires running between my computer, monitor, and my TV which is wall-mounted directly above my desktop build. I assumed this was a problem, so for simplicity I disconnected everything and only connected what is necessary to solving this problem.

Wall Outlet -> Power strip with three connections: (1) computer power supply, (2,3) power cords for both Yamaha HS7 speakers

I am connected from the speakers to my desktop via dual 1/4" to 3.5mm aux.

What I've Tried, What Doesn't Work

- Disconnected all other wires that are not my computer's power supply, and my two Yamaha HS7 speaker power cords, does not work
- Purchased an internal Audigy Rx soundcard, does not work
- I have tired three different outlets in my room, and even tried outlets in other rooms, does not work
- My computer is placed on a cardboard box so that it is not touching carpet, does not work
- Tried external USB adapter, does not work
- Tried a second pair of 1/4" to 3.5mm cables, does not work

Other Connections That Work
- Plugging the dual 1/4" to 3.5mm aux into my phone
- Plugging the dual 1/4" to 3.5mm aux into my laptop, with the laptop power cord plugged into the same [or different] outlet as the speakers

What the flying **** is happening?

I am at a total loss. I was going to buy one of those Hum X ground loop adapters, but I am SO HESITANT to continue spending money on solutions that seem to not be working.

Is there a hardware problem?
Is it a problem with my 1/4" cables?
Is there incompatibility somewhere in the electricity field?
Am I totally *****?

Thank you guys so much.

MOD EDIT: Watch your language on these forums.

Solution
You seem to have the speakers and PC AC cords connected to the same power strip. That combined with the audio input from the PC to the speakers creates a ground loop. You can use a 3-2 AC adapter for the speakers
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-Amp-125-Volt-Polarized-Grounding-Plug-Adapter-Gray-2-Pack-543002/203728202?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cVF%7cG%7c0%7cG-VF-PLA%7c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1MbzvObT2wIVgQOGCh1b9gWBEAQYAyABEgLy__D_BwE&dclid=CN618sjm09sCFcsONwodoOkEEg
or a ground loop isolator in the audio connection from the PC...

stdragon

Proper
Apr 5, 2018
I always keep this in my toolbag. Yes, sometimes the grounding wire doesn't get installed in the back of the outlet for whatever reason.

Bastex Socket Tester with GFCI check. Receptacle Tester for Standard AC Outlets. Includes 7 Visual Indications and Wiring Legend. Automatic Electric Circuit Polarity Voltage Detector Breaker Finder
by Bastex
Link: http://a.co/3N3bfby

jdlech2

Commendable
Mar 27, 2018

Once he has established that the wall socket is properly grounded, he can then run a wire from that ground to the audio ground. This will eliminate any floating ground problem he might have.
He can verify this by simply unplugging the audio plug from his speakers and simply touching the audio jack ground to the metal jack. If the hum appears, it's through that ground wire.

Note that the unbalanced jack is NOT the RCA type, but rather the 1/4" mono plug. This should not make any difference, but in my experience, it has.. plenty of times. Not sure why, but whenever I see those 1/4" plugs, I'm always reminded of how many floating ground problems I've had.

One way or another, he needs to ensure that the outside of those jacks are the same ground as the computer PSU and the wall plug. I have, in the past, literally ran a wire from the outside of those jacks to the wall socket.

Edit: The floating ground problem is most likely at your computer's PSU. The solution, however, is to provide a continuous ground from any point after the PSU to any point before the PSU. This is what running a wire from the speaker jack ground to the wall socket ground does. But one can get creative and find many other points where the wire can do the same job.

TRENDING THREADS