Inception: Dream Within a Game Within a Dream?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebb

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
I think it will be pretty tough to make the game as innovative as the movie and still be fun. Maybe try to go with the 007 Goldeneye "play the movie" style and keep it simple?

haunted one

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
Sounds interesting. World within a world within a world.....in a game would be awesome but I think I'd get tied of it really quickly.

Might work as the type of game you play for a couple weeks, then sell/give away

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]coldmast[/nom]Would it play like eXistenZ[/citation]
Great movie. :)

@inception game, well, I don't think it would be a good idea. 99% of the games that comes from movies are crap, at least.

suisenbenjo

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
I could imagine a really innovative game based of the premise of the film that, if done right, could be a success. Then again... I've thought that about other movie based games and they're always terrible, just thrown together to cash in on the movie's success. Maybe this'll be one of those rare exceptions.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
I could see this being interesting. Either a "goldeneye" approach as one user put it, or even going off in another path with original characters might be intriguing, as the movie suggested more than just Leonardo Dicaprio's team was doing Extraction.

Shuge1

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010
Problem with games from a single movie is the story gets so stretched out (2hr movie to an 8hr game) that it loses its umph, and thus a weak title..

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]shuge1[/nom]Problem with games from a single movie is the story gets so stretched out (2hr movie to an 8hr game) that it loses its umph, and thus a weak title..[/citation]

A great game based on a movie is Chronicles of Riddick. They've just done prequel to the movie it works great.

cmartin011

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
my dream video game would be like battlefield 2 with double every thing players, vehicles, and map sizes. dream can be any game i want it to be lol :)

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]RicardoK[/nom]Great movie. @inception game, well, I don't think it would be a good idea. 99% of the games that comes from movies are crap, at least.[/citation]

I think that because the movie already came out then the game wouldn't be restricted to the typical 1-year development cycle that ruins so many games. It might work if it were pitched to the right developers.

Valve comes to mind but the probably wouldn't do it. Their style though.

toastninja17

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
[citation][nom]guardianangel42[/nom]I think that because the movie already came out then the game wouldn't be restricted to the typical 1-year development cycle that ruins so many games. It might work if it were pitched to the right developers.Valve comes to mind but the probably wouldn't do it. Their style though.[/citation]

Imagine if it was done in the style of Half-Life. Valve is great at making dream-like sequences, and they've got the talent for it, both technically and with voice acting and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.