Incessant cracks/pops from laptop, sound cutting out

NateYauck

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016
I have an asus laptop, model k555l I believe, with Sonicmaster built in speakers. In the last few days the speakers have been making sharp cracks or pops and cutting in and out. The cracks/pops can be anywhere from 2 seconds to 20 minutes apart. I have not dropped the laptop, though it's poor make quality means that the occasional screw falls out and such. Why is this happening, and how can I fix it?

Hi,

Have you identified where those sounds are coming from? If it's coming from the speakers please do uninstall/reinstall the Sound card driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the sound driver.
- Once uninstalled, download and install the latest driver from ASUS support site.
- Here's the link: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/DriversForWin8.1/Audio/Audio_Realtek_Win81_64_VER6017503.zip?_ga=1.167075644.305422646.1455979617
- Reboot your laptop once the latest driver has been installed then test it again.
- If all these will not work do run System Restore first. Bring it back to an earlier date or time before the problem even happened.
- Here's how: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-PH/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc
- If System Restore will still not work your last option would be to reinstall Windows.

Cracks and pop sounds with sound cutting in and out usually indicate a loose wire/bad connection to the speaker. Sometimes it can also be caused by electrical interference, but the huge difference in time interval you're reporting suggests this isn't the case. I really don't think software is the cause, but you can test it by plugging in headphones. If you get the pops and dropouts over the headphone as well, then it's a software or sound card problem.

Assuming the problem is a speaker wire, open up the laptop and check all the wires going to the speakers. Usually it's a bad solder joint right where they connect to the speaker, and a quick touch-up with a soldering iron will fix it. The more difficult cases are when the bad connection is due to a frayed wire - you need to find where it's frayed and either fix it or replace the wire. The most difficult cases are when the problem is in the connection with the motherboard. Frequently there's nothing you can do if that's the case, as the pins are usually too small to solder.

NateYauck

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016
I've tried opening laptop to see if above post was right but after fiddling around for a good half hour I cannot find a problem, or a solution. The Veco speakers are encased in black immovable boxes and I see no other faults. I have also tried reinstalling drivers.

Lucian_3

Commendable
Apr 15, 2016

Have you found the problem yetm mine doing the same but i got realtex and during mine it starts to sound ljke the audio is draggi,g out