Independence Day: You Can Now Unlock Your Phone From Your Carrier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osmin

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
What if we are faithfully paying our monthly dues on a two-year contract, can we now put a sim card from another carrier while we temporarily visit a foreign country? If we pay our monthly contract on time then we should be able to change our service whenever the needs arise as long as we keep paying off our monthly bill.

Cun Con

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
What's new? I've been having my iPhone unlocked by ATT in the last 3 years (5 iPhone: iPhone 4, 4S, 2 iPhone 5 and 1 5S total). Even with my 5S was just 11 months into the contract, and ATT allowed me to upgrade to iPhone 6 with Next plan in last Oct, so I got it unlocked as well and didn't pay anything extra that 2-year contract which supposed to end in Oct 2015. I sold that 5S for $350 in Dec.

lizzy2759

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015
atnt has an out I asked them to unlock my lg thrill they said no because the phone was being used by someone under contract I told them that was impossible because I paid for the phone and have the phone physically in my possesstion, so they look into it again and came up with the exact same excuse for not unlocking it bogus how can you fight it when you buy it and they tell you it belongs to someone else.

PhoneQueen

Estimable
Feb 12, 2015
Unlocking your phone only applies to GSM networks like the ones mentioned in the article. CDMA networks like Sprint or US Cellular don't and won't "unlock" your phone.

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
I've been with AT&T since before the Cingular takeover... and they will send you the unlock code... but ONLY if your contract is completed. I had 6 weeks left on my 2 year with them and when I contacted them... they denied my request... the lady told me their computers wouldn't not allow it. When I was finally done with the contract, I contacted them again... and a week after my request.. they emailed me the unlock code. Unfortunately, I'm currently unable to use that unlock code because the instructions say I need to first insert a non-AT&T SIM card into the phone to enter the code... and everyone I know is with AT&T. So I'll have to wait until I can find time to search for someone using another carrier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS